Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formatting won’t apply to Footers in Pages on iPad

I have gone into the Document Setup, More… (where the text states you can edit headers and footers).

No matter what character formatting I select, it never gets applied. It’s as though the Footer is a fixed, uneditable style. Even the paragraph formatting of left, right, center, justified doesn’t work, either.

I find nothing in the Pages User Guide on how to format the headers and footers, only how to add and remove them. I can’t imagine making a header or footer italics, for example, is not even an option.

Posted on May 22, 2022 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2022 6:58 PM

I reread your text and found the problem. I was using the Shortcut bar at the bottom. It’s there that the font effects (Italics, Bold, etc.) don’t apply. Using the paintbrush drop down menu they do work. So the Shortcut bar is buggy.

I’ll contact Apple Support tomorrow so they can put in a ticket for the developers to check it out.

Thanks for your help!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2022 6:58 PM in response to Johne154

I reread your text and found the problem. I was using the Shortcut bar at the bottom. It’s there that the font effects (Italics, Bold, etc.) don’t apply. Using the paintbrush drop down menu they do work. So the Shortcut bar is buggy.

I’ll contact Apple Support tomorrow so they can put in a ticket for the developers to check it out.

Thanks for your help!

May 23, 2022 2:15 PM in response to Johne154

Johne154,

In the article we linked you previously, it goes over how to change the look of the text. Is this the method you're using of selecting the text, then applying formatting?

Add headers and footers
3. Tap More Options at the bottom of the controls.
4. In More Options view, tap in any of the three fields for the header or footer (you can use any combination of the fields).
5. Do any of the following:
• Change the look of text: Select the text, then tap [the paintbrush icon] or use the controls in the shortcut bar to change the font, font size, color, and spacing.

Thanks.

May 23, 2022 6:21 PM in response to AnnieL2

I tested the text formatting in the footer and in the body using the font Helvetic Neue.

In the Body of the page Italics and everything worked.

In the Footer, Bold, Italics, etc., did not work, BUT, changing the font name and font size does work.

I got the same results regardless if I typed in test text or used the built-in Page Numbers.

Formatting won’t apply to Footers in Pages on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.