Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt !!!

Im sorry, Im sure this has been asked before - it seemed so simple when I bought my new MacMini.

I have a good Mid 2011 27 inch iMac and it appeared that a thunderbolt cable would allow me to use the iMac as a display for the MacMini. Invested in a thunderbolt cable, but no, seems I need some sort of Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 1 adapter. Is there such a thing? Is it possible? Have I made a massive mistake?

Help!

Please!

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on May 1, 2020 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2020 12:47 PM

Take a look at this article:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

it explains how it works, and the limitations

Note this section in particular:

"All iMac models introduced in 2011, 2012, 2013, and mid 2014: Use a Thunderbolt cable to connect your iMac to a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 port on the other Mac. If the other Mac uses Thunderbolt 3, you can use the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter with your cable.

Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac used as the external display. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later. "

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2020 12:47 PM in response to Eddie Prior1

Take a look at this article:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

it explains how it works, and the limitations

Note this section in particular:

"All iMac models introduced in 2011, 2012, 2013, and mid 2014: Use a Thunderbolt cable to connect your iMac to a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 port on the other Mac. If the other Mac uses Thunderbolt 3, you can use the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter with your cable.

Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac used as the external display. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later. "

May 21, 2020 4:50 AM in response to Eddie Prior1

If you are using "Screen Sharing", that is done over WiFi or

ethernet and has nothing to do with Thunderbolt.

If the iMac is not responding to the key combo, there are two

possibilities. One, the macOS on the iMac could be corrupted

or the Thunderbolt connection/interface may be broken at

possibly either end.

One way to check if it is the Thunderbolt connection/interface,

try booting the iMac in Target Disk mode and see if it appears in

the MacMini Finder.

Use target disk mode to move files to another computer - Apple Support

At least this could tell you if you have a hardware problem and perhaps

which end,

May 19, 2020 1:02 PM in response to Androish

I’m still here, and still pulling my hair out! I have the Thunderbolt 2 cable, and invested in an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. I have the MacMini linked to a TV by HDMI, but with both machines on, cable and adapter connected between the mini and the iMac, press Command/f2, but no, nothing doing!!!

it is defiantly a thunderbolt cable, with the lightning bolt symbol, and a brand new Apple adapter. What on earth can I do?

May 20, 2020 4:47 AM in response to Eddie Prior1

"press Command/f2, but no, nothing doing!!!"

Do you mean the iMac stays on what ever macOS it is running

or do you mean you just get a blank display?

If it is the first, what keyboard are you using? If it is an Apple

keyboard, you may not have the "F" keys enabled as "function"

keys in which case, you need to press the "fn" key as well.

Remember, the function keys are dual purpose on the Apple keyboards.

If it is the second situation, open Applications->Utilities->System Information

and see what is showing up on the Thunderbolt bus.

May 20, 2020 5:49 AM in response to woodmeister50

Got me all excited there!

The iMac stays on, running High Sierra.

But no, no change. Tried it with and without Function selected. Tried a different (wireless) keyboard.

I get the muted 'dong' sound when pressing command/F2, and the rapid sound when held down, no sound with Fn/Command/f2, but every which way, it does nothing.

When (eg) the utilities window is open, 'Eddies MacMini' appears on the list on the left hand side. Click on that, new window says 'connection failed' but click on 'share screen' and the MacMini's TV screen appears. Almost what I want, but its just a window on top of the iMac desktop.

System Information on both the iMac and the MacMini report 'no device connected' on all thunderbolt ports - but there obviously is a connection!

AAARGH!

May 21, 2020 5:24 AM in response to woodmeister50

You know how when you are starting up in target disc mode or safe mode, etc you press the key combinations and hold momentarily until the action starts?

Well with starting what I want to do, turns out you press f2 and release instantly - it works every time, and literally that’s what the instructions say. So there’s nothing wrong, and I’ve been an idiot holding the key down waiting for something to happen!

My fault entirely, and apologies - thanks for taking the time to try to help!

Thunderbolt !!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.