Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect 2022 Mac mini to iMac to use it as a display

I have a brand new Mac mini m1. I have 2 iMac 27”, 2013 and 2015. My understanding is I can’t do this with the 2015 iMac. Mini came with a thunderbolt cable. But it looks like the iMac thunderbolts are incompatible. Can you suggest the easiest and cheapest way to connect this new thunderbolt cable on iMac, assuming there is an adapter. If not, please suggest other cables. A link to the cable would be appreciated so I get the right one. TIA!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 30, 2022 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2022 2:19 PM

You can't use either iMac as a display. Your Mac mini was introduced in 2020, so is too new. See the first section of:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

"The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed."

Your Mac mini can drive two displays. but one of them must use the computer's HDMI port and can't be more than 4K. See the Video Support section of:

Mac mini (M1, 2020) - Technical specifications

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2022 2:19 PM in response to Allan Fischler

You can't use either iMac as a display. Your Mac mini was introduced in 2020, so is too new. See the first section of:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

"The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed."

Your Mac mini can drive two displays. but one of them must use the computer's HDMI port and can't be more than 4K. See the Video Support section of:

Mac mini (M1, 2020) - Technical specifications

Nov 30, 2022 1:21 PM in response to Allan Fischler

Hi, Allan Fischer, what you’re talking about is called Target Display Mode (TDM) and although your 2 older iMacs might possibly support TDM, your newest one, the M1 definitively doesn’t… about the only way to maybe make that happen would be to buy something called “duet display”… plus a Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter … the TB3 to 2 adapter ( apple makes a good one, would run you about $63+tax) plus duet display…. Whatever that costs…

vs getting a cheap hdmi tv/usb-c monitor…

john b

Connect 2022 Mac mini to iMac to use it as a display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.