Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Mac Studio compatible with older Cinema Display?

I am thinking of upgrading from a 27" iMac to a Mac Studio but I already have a 27" Apple Cinema display with the DisplayPort connector. I'm wondering if there's a way to use that display with the Mac Studio.

Mac Studio

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 10:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 6:06 AM

The Cinema Display has a three-headed lead in cord with MagSafe, Mini DisplayPort, and USB-A.

You need a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter:

Monoprice Select Series USB-C to Mini DisplayPort Adapter - Product # 24273 - $14.99

If your display has only two-headed lead-in cord with MagSafe and Thunderbolt-2, it is the Thunderbolt Display. For that one, you need the Apple Thunderbolt-3 <-> Thunderbolt-2 adapter (about US$50)

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2022 6:06 AM in response to Adwiz

The Cinema Display has a three-headed lead in cord with MagSafe, Mini DisplayPort, and USB-A.

You need a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter:

Monoprice Select Series USB-C to Mini DisplayPort Adapter - Product # 24273 - $14.99

If your display has only two-headed lead-in cord with MagSafe and Thunderbolt-2, it is the Thunderbolt Display. For that one, you need the Apple Thunderbolt-3 <-> Thunderbolt-2 adapter (about US$50)

Jan 29, 2023 3:47 PM in response to Adwiz

UPTAB makes an adapter that works to connect the Studio to the 27" LED Cinema Display with the mini display port adapter.

I have found what I hope will be a more useful approach with an OWC thunderbolt 3 dock when the Studio arrives, although the resolution wont be what the Studio can deliver. That thread is at the link.

LED Cinema Display, Mac Studio, and 27" S… - Apple Community

Dec 19, 2022 10:30 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

One question:

On Apple's support page for the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter, it states the following:

In addition, it can be used to connect Thunderbolt-enabled displays — such as the Apple Thunderbolt Display and LG Thunderbolt 2 displays — to any of the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) / USB 4 ports on your Mac. However, using this adapter with an Apple Thunderbolt Display requires a power source, because the display does not provide power through the adapter.

If this is true, how can we provide power to the display?

Dec 19, 2022 11:01 AM in response to Adwiz

Adwiz wrote:

Thank you so much! I actually have two 27" Cinema displays. One has the three ends on the lead and the other has the two, so that's really helpful.

the one with two ends in its lead-in cord is NOT a cinema display, it is its twin, the Thunderbolt Display. See my note above about what is the correct adapter for that one.

You are in the unique position of being able to try out the mini DisplayPort adapter to see if it the ThunderBolt Display work at all. Please let us know!

Jan 29, 2023 3:56 PM in response to PiperMAC

I’m using Apple’s Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter. It works great but, as you mentioned, the resolution is well below what the Studio can deliver because of the limitations of the display. It works okay but sometimes the font antialiasing is annoyingly rough, and some visual anomalies are common due to trying to cram too many pixels into a display that can’t handle them. Like you, I’m reluctant to spring for the Studio Display until I know they’ve addressed issues like the camera.

Jan 29, 2023 4:00 PM in response to Adwiz

Thanks for the insight. I hadn't even started to look at the presentation of text quality yet. I was just happy that the LED CD worked at all. I'm hoping to get some ground truth from users that have lived with the patched studio display camera in the other thread. I'd like the benefit of the 5k resolution but putting a Logitech Brio on top of the Studio Display just to get a more ideal camera feels a bit kludgy and <oof> pricey.

Is Mac Studio compatible with older Cinema Display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.