Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you connect the 30" Cinema Display (2006) to the Mac Pro while I waiting for the Pro Display?

I have received my 2019 Mac Pro but the Pro Display has not shipped. Can I use a 30" Cinema Display from 2006 with Mini Displayport to Dual Link DVI adapter and a USB-C to Mini Displayport adapter to connect and if so what port should I be using?

Mac Pro

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 5:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 6:16 PM

You need a Mini DisplayPort output. Use your adapter with any thunderbolt-3 output port. [But NOT Thunderbolt-3 <--> Thunderbolt-2 adapter, that supports only genuine ThunderBolt displays.]

The mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter needs 5 volt power on its USB input. You can adapt another computer output to get that, or connect it to an iPad charger.

If you do not connect the USB from computer through to the display, you can't use its USB Hub [big deal] and you get no brightness slider.

EDIT: Malcolm and I each likely started composing before the other's answer has been displayed. I believe we have both posted similar information, without contradictions.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2020 6:16 PM in response to MFletcherOffice

You need a Mini DisplayPort output. Use your adapter with any thunderbolt-3 output port. [But NOT Thunderbolt-3 <--> Thunderbolt-2 adapter, that supports only genuine ThunderBolt displays.]

The mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter needs 5 volt power on its USB input. You can adapt another computer output to get that, or connect it to an iPad charger.

If you do not connect the USB from computer through to the display, you can't use its USB Hub [big deal] and you get no brightness slider.

EDIT: Malcolm and I each likely started composing before the other's answer has been displayed. I believe we have both posted similar information, without contradictions.

Can you connect the 30" Cinema Display (2006) to the Mac Pro while I waiting for the Pro Display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.