Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use 20" cinema display with a new 13" macbook pro m1

I have a 20" cinema display with a 65 W power adapter A1096. I want to connect this display to my new 13" macbook pro M1. A USB-C to DVI adapter doesn't work. Will a fire wire to USB-C adapter work? What about a DVI to HDMI plus a HDMI to USB-C?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 23, 2021 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2021 4:41 PM

Stacking adapters does not usually work because most of the "magic" of the adaptaion is actually done at the computer port. Once you adapt the output signal to a different type, there is usually not enough left to adapt it again.

10 replies

May 24, 2021 11:29 AM in response to macdonad

Hi Macdonad,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you have questions about connecting your new MacBook Pro to a Cinema Display. We'd like to help.

It's possible that this resource can help you with this issue:

Connect a display to your Mac

You can also find the compatible devices listed under the specific devices in the Online Apple Store.

Hope that helps!

Take care.

May 24, 2021 1:42 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Many, many thanks for your reply. That was kinda my thinking too. The aftermarket Kanex DVI direct to USB-C adapter I ordered didn't succeed, however. The new m1 Macbook could "see" the cinema display but no picture appeared. The 65W power adapter has an "octopus" set of wires that include a USB (doesn't work), DVI (DVI to USB-C doesn't work) and a firewire 400 male connector (haven't tried that one but literature suggests it's unlikely). I connect the older macbook pro to the cinema display with a DVI to mini display port adapter and that works fine. Mini Display to USB-C after that? 2 adapters again. Looks like I may be running out of options. I could go DVI to HDMI and HDMI to USB-C but that's 2 adapters again. Thoughts?

May 24, 2021 1:50 PM in response to macdonad

The display input is the DVI part of the octopus. No other ports can be used to provide a picture of any description.

The USB is a display INPUT that makes the USB ports on the back of the display "come alive", and also provides a Brightness slider. The FireWire allows the FireWire ports on the display to come alive. These two can be ignored if you decide to just use the brightness button on the display itself.

Jun 4, 2021 5:17 PM in response to macdonad

I decided to try the shotgun approach. I ordered from the online place named after a river a BENFEI DVI to USB-C adapter and a DTECH DVI female to HDMI male adapter.

Surprise: BOTH work fine!! So, improbably, daisy-chaining from the 20" Cinema Display's DVI to HDMI into a BELKIN HDMI to USB-C adapter I got previously from Apple does the trick as well as the direct DVI to USB-C adapter.

Thanks for the help; case closed for me.

Use 20" cinema display with a new 13" macbook pro m1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.