Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to plug a DVI display to new M1 MacBook?

Hello all,

I think about new MacBook Pro 13" and I have 2005 Apple 23" LED Cinema Display with DVI port. I need to know if new M1 MacBooks still compatible with old Apple Cinema displays and work with them without any compatibility problems. If yes is it possible to plug a DVI display to new M1 MacBook by thunderbold3 - DVI adapter like the next one https://merlion.com/catalog/product/824065 ?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 8:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 9:26 AM

Yes.

Computer-end: USB-C

Display End: single-link DVI ending in a female plug for the display's captive input cord

this adapter can do that job:

Monoprice Select Series USB-C to DVI and USB-C (F) Dual Port Adapter - Product # 15243 - US$18.99  

9 replies

Jan 13, 2022 9:49 AM in response to Aleksei1917

The port on the computers (Only) can feature BOTH digital outputs and analog outputs, as shown in this complicated diagram:

(Diagram from Wikipedia. drag and drop on Preview to see larger)

The combination of BOTH analog And digital is called DVI-I.

DVI-D Digital is provided as either Single-link (the grid LESS the six middle pins in the grid, shown in medium blue). Or Dual-Link which includes the six middle pins.

Direct Analog VGA output is provided in the blade at the end, plus the four pins around it, plus one Sync signal from the top row of the grid (salmon-pink on the diagram)

Jan 13, 2022 10:02 AM in response to Aleksei1917

DVI-D.

it does not accept the Analog VGA signals, and may even have the four pins around the blade de-populated.

look closely at the "common display Interfaces" diagram posted far above, for the two different connectors possible.

BUT: in some cases, if the larger connector was cheaper that week, devices may have been built with whatever connector was cheaper, and the signals just not connected.

Is it possible to plug a DVI display to new M1 MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.