Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro and Apple Cinema Display

Dear Apple Community,

I’m about to purchase a 2023 MacBook Pro M2 which I’d like to connect to my old 24" Apple Cinema Display. However, I'm unsure of what cable or adapter I need to make this connection work.

Can someone please advise me on the specific cable or adapter that I need to connect my MacBook Pro M2 to my Apple Cinema Display? Additionally, are there any other considerations or compatibility issues that I should be aware of?

Thank you for your assistance.

Jason

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 5:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2023 12:33 PM

Hi Jason,

I just bought a macbook pro 13" 2022 with an m2 chip. I have an Apple cinema display 27". If you're monitor has the three cables coming out the back (power cable, USB-A, and mini Displayport), you need the USB-C to mini Displayport adapter. I bought this one and it works well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GS5GPH8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers.

PS: Our area had a power surge a few days ago (power went off and back on within a few seconds) and now my monitor shows nothing but black. Both the macbook and cinema display show up in the Displays settings, but no video is coming out. I bought a different adapter but I only get a brief flash on the screen and then the Cinema Display stays black. I'm at my wit's end as I think the monitor is dead.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2023 12:33 PM in response to Jason Moran1

Hi Jason,

I just bought a macbook pro 13" 2022 with an m2 chip. I have an Apple cinema display 27". If you're monitor has the three cables coming out the back (power cable, USB-A, and mini Displayport), you need the USB-C to mini Displayport adapter. I bought this one and it works well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GS5GPH8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers.

PS: Our area had a power surge a few days ago (power went off and back on within a few seconds) and now my monitor shows nothing but black. Both the macbook and cinema display show up in the Displays settings, but no video is coming out. I bought a different adapter but I only get a brief flash on the screen and then the Cinema Display stays black. I'm at my wit's end as I think the monitor is dead.

Macbook Pro and Apple Cinema Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.