Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two different locations for pictures?

Doing a rationalisation of my data, and it appears that my Pictures/Photos are in two different locations.

I have a Pictures folder on my iCloud Drive, at /Users/GordonBParker/Documents and a Photos Library in /Users/GordonBParker/Pictures

I've set Photos to use iCloud Drive, but I'm confused about the Pictures Library.

Do they contain the same data, and if not, can I import one to the other and eliminate one of them?

The Pictures Folder in my iCloud Drive is 2,834,177,758 bytes (2.84 GB on disk) for 2,853 items and the Photos Library is 2,641,984,232 bytes (2.68 GB on disk)

Confused.com!

MacBook Air 11", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 2, 2020 6:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2020 7:27 AM

If you are using the Photos.app, it always needs a local Photos Library. And this library is by default in your Pictures folder and called "Photos Library.photoslibrary", unless you move it somewhere else. DO not delete this library or you cannot use the Photos.app on your mac.

I've set Photos to use iCloud Drive, but I'm confused about the Pictures Library.

Ther eis no iCloud Drive setting in Photos. Do you mean, you have enabled the Photos Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Photos? Then your local Photos Library will be synced with iCloud Photos Library and you can see your Photos on your other devices, that are also using iCloud Photos Library.

The photos from your Photos Library are not visible on iCloud Drive. YOu can only see them in the Photos.app on synced devices or at www.icloud.com.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2020 7:27 AM in response to gordonfromfoxt

If you are using the Photos.app, it always needs a local Photos Library. And this library is by default in your Pictures folder and called "Photos Library.photoslibrary", unless you move it somewhere else. DO not delete this library or you cannot use the Photos.app on your mac.

Ther eis no iCloud Drive setting in Photos. Do you mean, you have enabled the Photos Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Photos? Then your local Photos Library will be synced with iCloud Photos Library and you can see your Photos on your other devices, that are also using iCloud Photos Library.

The photos from your Photos Library are not visible on iCloud Drive. YOu can only see them in the Photos.app on synced devices or at www.icloud.com.

Two different locations for pictures?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.