Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forcing Photos to sync

Hello all,

I did a big mistake today: as I didn't paid proper attention, to the fact a MacBook I gave to my daughter, was included in my iCloud account and wanting to clear Photos for her use, I deleted thousands of photos and videos from my iCloud, when deleting from the MacBook. The worst thing is that I went to Macbook Photos recently deleted folder and clicked on "Delete all".

OK, this is the bad part of the history.

The good part is that I had saved, on another HD a copy of the Photos Library.photoslibrary file, so I didn't lose nothing and Photos open with all of them.

My doubt now: is there a way to force Photos to sync with iCloud to rebuild the Photos library in iCloud?

Thanks in advance Paulo

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 3:25 PM

Yes. On the MacBook you gave your daughter sign out of iCloud. She should sign in using her own Apple ID.

On your other Mac sign in to iCloud with your Apple ID, open the Photo library, set it to be the System Photo Library and enable iCloud Library for it. It should repopulate the iCloud Library.

WARNING: be sure to have a backup copy of the library before you start the repopulation of the iCloud Library.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2021 3:25 PM in response to pmonnerat

Yes. On the MacBook you gave your daughter sign out of iCloud. She should sign in using her own Apple ID.

On your other Mac sign in to iCloud with your Apple ID, open the Photo library, set it to be the System Photo Library and enable iCloud Library for it. It should repopulate the iCloud Library.

WARNING: be sure to have a backup copy of the library before you start the repopulation of the iCloud Library.

Dec 4, 2021 10:13 AM in response to léonie

Hi léonie, thanks again, also for your promptness, but as file it isn't "active" it wasn't allowing me to rename it (see attachment).

What I did: I renamed the backup Photos Library.photoslibrary file as Photos Library1.photoslibrary file and this way copied to the Pictures folder without problem.

Next opened Photos.app with this file and in Preferences> General tapped on Use as System Photos Library then in iCloud checked iCloud Photos. Now I am waiting all upload

Many thanks again Paulo

(I will tap on This solved my question once i see the pictures back in iCloud)

Dec 6, 2021 9:37 AM in response to pmonnerat

You must log out of your iCloud account ON the MacBook you gave your daughter. Until you do she will get photos synced and possible your text and email messages.

Actually, the MacBook should have been prepared according to this Apple document before giving to your daughter: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support  

Dec 4, 2021 2:22 AM in response to Old Toad

Hi Old Toad, thanks for the help, but unfortunately I wasn't able to use it.

I signed in to iCloud in the web and clicked on Photos, but found nothing where to "set it to be the System Photo Library, to enable iCloud Library for it".

I went to System Preferences > Apple ID, but wasn't able to also find nothing.

Forgive my audacity, but could you be more specific?

Thanks in advance Paulo

also on System Preferences

Dec 4, 2021 3:12 AM in response to pmonnerat

You make a Photos Library your System Photos Library by launching the Photos.app on your mac and opening the Library. Then go to the menu Photos > Preferences > General and tap onUse as System Photos Library. Now you can click the iCloud Tab in the Photos Preferences and set the checkmark for iCloud Photos. Wait for the photos to upload to the iCloud Library.

Dec 4, 2021 4:15 AM in response to léonie

Hi léonie,

Excellent, I now was able to find everything, many thanks, but before doing as per your guidance, allow me to tell a little more about my mistake, to take advantage of your expertise..

As I had a back up Photos Library.photoslibrary file, I tried to copy it to Pictures folder to replace the one existing there, but incomplete. At a certain moment, copying stopped and I got a message saying the task couldn't be completed as a file as such already existed in that location.

I may did a 2nd error, as I deleted (or at least thought I deleted) the file, as it seems to remain showing a faded title and again, when I tried to copy, again the same message.

As I have the file with almost all photos and videos, how can I transfer it to the Pictures folder to be used by Photos.app?

Thanks and regards Paulo

Dec 6, 2021 3:22 AM in response to pmonnerat

Hi léonie,

As promised the "Solved" assignment, as iCloud Photos library was repopulated. I was able to save most of my photos and videos, but paid a price for my error, as I lost around 600 items.

Allow me to once more use your help: to remove the MacBook I gave my daughter from my iCloud account, will be just to open this account, select the MacBook and tell to iCloud to remove it. Am I right?

Thanks again Paulo

Forcing Photos to sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.