Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XS Max full memory Error 14

I’ve got a serious problem with my iPhone XS Max 256 Gb

It started when my phone memory was full and it was working too slowly. I rebooted it, and it got stuck in a boot loop (apple logo). I then tried to put in in Recovery Mode and update it via Mac/PC (It did not have the latest iOS). The upgrade failed halfway through with Error 14. Then I opened the iPhone and disconnected the LCD etc., but still, Error 14 appeared when I was trying to upgrade. Now it is stuck in Recovery Mode. 

I've read a lot of messages from people who have the same problem! We need a skeleton IOS for this situation! Apple have really made a mistake in allowing a phone to reach such a full capacity

It is a tragedy to lose my photos and videos!!! There are the best moments of my life in this locked phone! I need help!

Support service recommended me to restore my phone with no opportunity to save my data! That’s completely impossible! My photos and videos were an integral part of my life. There should be the way out! Help me, please!

iPhone XS Max, iOS 13

Posted on May 2, 2020 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2020 8:02 AM

Apple have really made a mistake in allowing a phone to reach such a full capacity! There is no memory to install iOS! This is a reason of error 14! Only sceleton iOS will help us! We need turn on our phones! iOS 14 will be heavier of 13! I need my photos back! There are my best moments! My events, travellings! I’m in a big stress and crying every day!

143 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2020 8:02 AM in response to Sergioo_1

Apple have really made a mistake in allowing a phone to reach such a full capacity! There is no memory to install iOS! This is a reason of error 14! Only sceleton iOS will help us! We need turn on our phones! iOS 14 will be heavier of 13! I need my photos back! There are my best moments! My events, travellings! I’m in a big stress and crying every day!

Jul 26, 2020 1:36 AM in response to InessaS

I have an iPhone X 64 GB. It has always been alerting that it is out of memory for one month. I tried a lot of ways to free up memory. I deleted 5GB on one day. After one week, the memory is full again. I deleted 4GB again, and then after two or three days, the Other category filled up memory again. Then I always kept deleting my files on iPhone, but no matter how many GB I deleted, iPhone could always get a way to fill it up.

Then 2 days ago, when I woke up. The iPhone was stuck at the white apple logo, never into the home screen. I tried to restart, but still the same. Then I googled online, it all said up volume button, down volume button and side button to restart. I tried. Now the screen showed http://support.apple.com/iphone/restore I have also tried it. I tried to update. An error 14 always shows up and disconnects my iPhone automatically, and asks me to restore.

I don't have the back-up for my iPhone, no iCloud. I tried to make an appointment with the Genius Bar, but I can't receive the verification code to log in to make appointments, because I can’t receive messages with a died iPhone. Apple store is also closed at Dallas locations. I don't know what to do now, so helpless.

I did a lot of research, tried a lot of software saying that they could fix, but all failed. I went to best buy the maintenance department, they couldn’t help.

I can't restore without backup. I have all my data for 10 years from 2010 when I first started to use iPhone. I can't lose my 10 years of data. Please help me, I am so helpless.

Apple, as you design like this, you should let us know if we don’t free up memory, we will never power on iPhone any more and will lose all data. All it should be like a u-disk, if we connect to Mac, we can copy or delete data directly. Now, everyone like me is just disappointed and helpless. Please help!!!

Sep 16, 2020 1:25 AM in response to InessaS

Hi, you can check these links: If your iPhone is stuck on the Apple logo

iOS update and restore errors

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Make sure that you're using an original Apple cable or the cable that came with your phone.

To get out of recovery mode, just force restart your phone: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.

If you haven't backed up your phone or before restoring your phone, you may want to check with 3rd-party data recovery companies to recover the data from your phone.

[Edited by Moderator]

Sep 10, 2020 2:38 AM in response to Leonzio

By the way you keep saying "you" and "your customers ", none of the contributors on here works for Apple.

The fixes are a combination of

• Make sure you are on 13.6.1 or later before it is too late
  • Backup (or transfer photos) weekly in case of loss of phone
  • If you are in this situation and the phone is too full to do anything you will have to wipe the phone in Settings, General, Reset, Erase all content and settings. You will lose anything not backed up same as if you lost the phone but at least you still have the phone.

Oct 7, 2020 1:45 AM in response to Anna_ad845

The solution was to backup to icloud or your computer ...

1. every couple of weeks
  2. before every update

This protects against all loss including theft, breakdown, and water ingress.

If you don't have a computer, and many don't these days, consider an iCloud subscription.

It's terrible to lose precious photos, but there is no solution once the phone is bricked or lost. This applies to all phones of any make and even digital cameras.

Nov 13, 2020 1:47 AM in response to InessaS

Same scenario for me

• Reached memory full while making a video
  • Impossible do delete photos or videos
  • Impossible to empty trash
  • Impossible to remove an app to free space
  • Restarted my iPhone XS max hoping to be able to empty the trash
  • It remained stuck in the Apple logo loop
  • Firmware update stops half way using original Apple cables
  • Tried with other Apply cables
  • Tried different USB ports on my Macbook Pro
  • Tried Firmware 14.01, 14.1 and 14.2 to no avail

It is a shame that a very pricy and a great device such as the iPhone XS max will "crash" on a simple "storage full" where any $100 Android device would allow you to do something about it.

It is a big deal considering the price. I can't help to think that it is done deliberately to force us consumers to buy the iCloud service. Being an software engineer myself, I can't think of why we should limit the life of your data on your phone to be determined by the time of reaching the storage capacity.

It is unacceptable for a product of such price and quality to be limited programmatically to force aggressively consumers to buy the iCloud subscription that keeps on popping each time when you have reached the max Free sync.

In one word, shame. Also what to think of the team that actually designed the device. A friend with an older iPhone (version 5) had coincidentally the same issue the same day, and he was able to restart and delete picture.

Sorry for the rank, it's been 3 weeks that I am in denial that the only solution is to forget about my data and move on to Android.

Tried 3rd party software iMyPhone Fixppo and failed. They agreed to reimburse 50% of the software. So don't even try. DrFone says that they can fix Error 14, but if it doesn't I guess it will be difficult to get a refund.

Nov 3, 2020 1:35 AM in response to Yzhao144

Correct.

So what happens if the phone is smashed or stolen? Weekly full backup to a computer (or cloud if you have the bandwidth) is the only way to safeguard your valuable data.

It saddens me how many people lose their photos because of some traumatic loss of the phone but they were not so valuable as to spend 5 minutes a week backing up.

May 2, 2020 1:49 PM in response to InessaS

Hello,

Connecting to your computer should work. Try a different cable or port:

iTunes error 14 may happen when you have a USB connection issue. Try a different USB port on your computer or use a different USB cable. You'd better use the original Apple Lighting USB that came with your device. And you can text the USB cable on another computer.

Good luck.

May 12, 2020 3:59 AM in response to InessaS

I am facing the same issue as my phone memory was full and was very slow. So I restarted my phone. I then tried to put in in Recovery Mode and update it via Mac/PC (It did not have the latest iOS). I was getting error 4013 while updating OS.

I am sure this issue is due to low memory. I know you are facing the same issue. Is this issue resolved for you?. Do you have any workaround to boot my device.

Jun 16, 2020 3:59 AM in response to bernadettt

i am having similar issue with iphone XR … i woke up in the morning today to find my iphone storage full… tried to delete some apps and videos but they were not deleting and then all of a sudden my iphone is stuck on the apple logo. I have 1 year of pictures and videos of my 2 year old which i have not transferred or backed up. Tried force starting and updating the phone in recovery mode and it is showing Error 14..... . i have not tried up any third party apps yet but from reading the above comments, i dont think they are of any good. Hopefully, Apple will come up with a solution to fix this issue as this is totally unexpected and i do not want to restore and loose all my photos and videos. You buy such an expensive phone and this is what happens.

They should have sold the phone with a disclaimer that “ ALL YOUR DATA WILL BE LOST IF YOUR STORAGE GETS FULL” .

Android phones dont have this issue. I have been loyal to Apple for 10 years now and if i lose my photos and videos, i am surely going to stop buying Iphones, if Apple is unable to resolve this issue.

Is there email or contact of senior person in APPLE to whom we can address this issue to come out with “A SOLUTION TO FIX THIS COMMON ISSUE”????

iPhone XS Max full memory Error 14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.