Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalling OS X and can't launch the App Store so the installation stops.

Any fixes for the issue that I can't reinstall OS X on a used MacBook that has beeñ erased.

i get to the point where apparently the App Store should launch and I get the message that this item is temporarily unavailable. I have tried several times and come up with the same message.

MacBook

Posted on May 2, 2020 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2020 12:46 PM

I purchased OS X Lion ($19.99) from the Apple store online. Apple then sent me an email with a "license" for the product. In the email, they provided a PDF copy of the license with a "Redeem Code". From the App Store on my phone, I clicked my profile button in the upper right. On that page, click "Redeem Gift Card or Code". Once you enter your code, your purchase is unlocked and available for your Apple ID to use on your Mac. OS X Lion should be able to install at that point.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2020 12:46 PM in response to tamolyn

I purchased OS X Lion ($19.99) from the Apple store online. Apple then sent me an email with a "license" for the product. In the email, they provided a PDF copy of the license with a "Redeem Code". From the App Store on my phone, I clicked my profile button in the upper right. On that page, click "Redeem Gift Card or Code". Once you enter your code, your purchase is unlocked and available for your Apple ID to use on your Mac. OS X Lion should be able to install at that point.

May 8, 2020 2:56 PM in response to tamolyn

I have figured it out! You have to use your "redeem" code on any Apple device logged into your Apple ID. I used my iPhone App Store and entered the code supplied into that Redeem section for gift cards and downloads. Once it has been redeemed, it is applied to your Apple ID account and can start the install process on your Mac.

Hope this helps!

Reinstalling OS X and can't launch the App Store so the installation stops.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.