Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Connect to Network Volume on Startup

Greetings all! I've got a weird little issue trying to mount a volume at startup on a mid-2010 Mac mini I'm running headless as a Plex server.

I have all of my video content stored on a NAS, which I can connect to through AFP by connecting to afp://<ip address>:<name of volume within NAS> from the "Connect to Server" option in Finder. If I take that address into Automator and add a "Get Specified Server", followed by a "Connect to Server" and hit the Play button, it works fine. If I save the Automator flow as an application and run it by double clicking in the Finder, it runs fine.

If, however, I add the application to Users and Groups as a startup item and restart the computer, the action throws up a dialog reading "There was a problem connecting to server <ip address>". If I dismiss the dialog and double-click the application myself, it runs perfectly fine, which suggests it's not an issue with the Automator flow.

I've tried everything I can think of: I've replaced the "Get Specified Server" flow with an Applescript flow which mounts the server; I've tried adding a 30 second delay at the start of the flow, hoping that maybe the system was still in the process of booting, and I've even tried creating a *different* Automator flow that just opens the first Automator flow. They all have the same results: it runs perfectly fine, except if it's a startup item.

A couple of other points of information:

-I've tried adding the shared volume to my startup items, and it won't mount that way on startup either; no errors or dialogs, it just doesn't do anything.

-Neither the NAS nor any network infrastructure is power cycled at the same time; only the mini is being rebooted

-There are about a dozen more elements in the Automator flow after the mounting part, and they all run as expected.

Anyone have any insight and/or suggestions as to why my system is being so picky about automatically mounting a network share at startup? Thanks!

Posted on May 2, 2020 2:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2020 4:44 PM

Hello,

I too have run into this problem. This is due to when macOS attempts to run this Automator script upon login the network connection has not been fully established. The remedy that worked for me is to put a wait command at the beginning of your Automator script for either 1 to 2 minutes. This should be sufficient time for your Macintosh to establish the connection and allow the networked storage to mount. Something else that can be at play is the script is being blocked by macOS’ privacy system. System Preferences > Privacy > Accessibility > Check the checkmark next to your script (if it is in that list).

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2020 4:44 PM in response to Ben Scripps

Hello,

I too have run into this problem. This is due to when macOS attempts to run this Automator script upon login the network connection has not been fully established. The remedy that worked for me is to put a wait command at the beginning of your Automator script for either 1 to 2 minutes. This should be sufficient time for your Macintosh to establish the connection and allow the networked storage to mount. Something else that can be at play is the script is being blocked by macOS’ privacy system. System Preferences > Privacy > Accessibility > Check the checkmark next to your script (if it is in that list).

Can't Connect to Network Volume on Startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.