Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Connect to macOS Ventura on LAN

I have the following computers running on the same LAN:

• Mac Studio M1 Ultra, macOS 13.0.1 (MS)
  • MacBook Air M2, macOS 13.0.1 (MBA)
  • MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013, macOS 11.7.1 (MBP)
  • Dell XPS 13 Plus, Windows 11 Pro (DELL)

I can see all of them on the network and I can connect between MBP and DELL in either direction. I can also connect from MS or MBA to MBP or DELL.

However, I can neither connect to MS or MBA from MBP or DELL, nor connect between MS and MBA. When I click on MS or MBA from another computer to connect I get an error message, such as "the server may not exist or is unavailable", or "the network path does not exist".

The settings on MS and MBA are similar to those on MBP.

Please refer to the attached screenshots.

In summary, I cannot get access to my Mac Silicon Ventura computers via LAN from any other computer on the same network.

For MS and MBA:

What am I missing here? Any suggestions on what I should do to be able to connect to MS and MBA via LAN will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mac Studio

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 1:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 10:35 PM

It seems that I may have found a solution in the article "SMB File Sharing Not Working In Ventura (Fixed)":

"To solve the SMB File sharing, turning off File Sharing, rebooting my machine, and then switching on File Sharing again will help in fixing the issue"

However, it seems one has to do this operation every time one shuts down the computer.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2022 10:35 PM in response to Michael9009

It seems that I may have found a solution in the article "SMB File Sharing Not Working In Ventura (Fixed)":

"To solve the SMB File sharing, turning off File Sharing, rebooting my machine, and then switching on File Sharing again will help in fixing the issue"

However, it seems one has to do this operation every time one shuts down the computer.

Jan 10, 2023 4:57 PM in response to Michael9009

I have this same issue but turning off File Sharing then rebooting and re-enabling File Sharing doesn't work for me.

I am trying to connect to a M1 MBA running Ventura. I can see the computer in the Network on any of my Macs. When I try to connect it says "loading" but that goes away and it hangs until I get the error shown in the graphic above. If I turn off File Sharing on the M1 it disappears from the network. Turning File Sharing back on causes the M1 MBA to immediately show up in the Network of the other Macs on the Network. I CAN connect to it for Screen Sharing and Remote Login, but not File Sharing. I can share other Mac screens and files FROM the M1 MBA. It's very odd. I never get prompted for the credentials of the M1 MBA when I try to connect to it from another Mac. It just says "loading" for a second then that goes away.

I have tried the following:

• Forgetting the network and assigning a new IP.
  • Rebooting the M1 after turning off File Sharing.
  • Rebooting the other Macs.
  • Disabling the Firewall.
  • Allowing EVERYONE to read/write to the Mac.
  • Changing the Name of the Mac in Settings.
  • Connecting to it via its IP instead of network name.
  • Deleting the credentials of the M1 MBA from the Keychain. After I do that I am prompted for the credentials when I screen share, but not for file sharing.

I am positive I have the proper settings and users with permissions in Settings - General - Sharing - File Sharing.

I have a mix of eight M1 and Intel Macs on my network and every other Mac works perfectly with Ventura. I'm stumped. The next step will be to wipe this Mac and start over but I wish there was a preference file that I could delete instead.

Feb 9, 2023 7:52 AM in response to cmp101

I get the same exact behavior as described here, but I am trying to connect as Guest (with all settings for Guest access to shared folders correct) to a mac running on Ventura.

I always get "Connection Failed" in Finder or "There are no shares available or you are not allowed to access them on the server." when connecting manually using "Connect to Server" and using the smb:// address:

Did you find a fix for the File Sharing problem on Ventura?

I just tried sharing files from a Big Sur with Guest access enabled. I connected to the Big Sure from a Ventura mac and it works fine. So it appears the problem is with Ventura. I tried it on Ventura 13.1 and 13.2, same problem on both.

Feb 6, 2023 9:12 AM in response to squirrel_girl

I have a somewhat similar experience in combination with a mac that is trying to connect to a pc file server in the intranet of our company. It goes like this:

"quote"

I recently upgraded to MacOS Ventura.

Formerly, on MacOS Monterey, I happily was accessing files (read and write, storing and deleting) via Samba Protocol on our company's pc server in the form of

Finder

"Connect to Server..." (K)

then, in a dialog box I wrote

"smb://"fileserverhostname"

Enter

and was presented with a dialog asking for my name and password.

After this I was presented a list of mountable volumes to choose from.

By selecting and okay-ing a name the respective volume was mounted.

Everything fine.

NOW on Ventura,

I still get as far as to the list of volumes, but access is denied in the form that the small window containing the list is shaking and I get an

"Access denied"

My System Admin has not changed a thing and I obviously am talking with the pc file server, but there has to be made a change in protocol on the Mac System side internally (without mentioning it maybe?)

I would very much appreciate help from an expert - maybe there is an older and a newer protocol involved and the "denial" is due to an unfortunate order of checks?

Or the tightened safety rules on Ventura are barring the way of reestablishing the former connection to the pc server?

It would suffice for me if this was "curable" via the shell.

Thanks in advance,

quinto_acuto

"unquote"

Feb 21, 2023 8:57 AM in response to Michael9009

I don't know if this will work for you, it worked for me on one Ventura machine, but not on another.

I am also having this issue with Monterey, where I can see the shared public folders with guest on older users I migrated over, but I can not see the shared folders with any new users created.

System Settings, Security & Privacy, Accessibility, check or add AEServer.

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/AE.framework/Versions/A/Support/AEServer

Cannot Connect to macOS Ventura on LAN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.