Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBookPro 13" Mid-2015: Battery No Charge; need to keep power plugged in.

Turns off immediately when power is unplugged so I cant use it on the go. Last time I used it on the go was May 2019. Normally its kept on using an external display while its closed all the time. Till last night I took it off the display to use remotely and it wouldn't power on.

I did the SMC reset (Holding Ctrl+Option+Shift + Power for 10 seconds; release and press Power to turn it on). Didnt change anything. The Battery Icon doesnt even show on the Main Menu Bar. In the Settings> Power Saver, I cant check the box for Show battery icon on the menu. Restore to Default doesnt do anything. Now im stuck. Dont know where to turn to.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 2, 2020 5:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2020 8:37 PM

Thanks. So I called Support. Here’s what we did.

1. Shut Down

2. Press Power Button for 2 seconds

3. Immediately hold down letter D key till the display comes on then release. You will see a revolving globe (if you don’t and the display is showing the computer is running diagnosis that’s fine too). This will take 2-3 minutes.

Display showed Battery Undetected.

Support agent then started explaining the repair options. Apple Stores are closed so I can either mail in the laptop for battery repair or I can take it to Best Buy partner nearby. I decided to mail in. One of my friends had an issue with his laptop and Best Buy ended up mailing it to Apple. So it’s best to avoid that waste of time.

Got emails from Apple right away with link to payment process. I filled it out online and click submit. Done. Waiting for the box to arrive to ship my laptop to Apple. I don’t have AppleCare so my total charge is $229

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2020 8:37 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks. So I called Support. Here’s what we did.

1. Shut Down

2. Press Power Button for 2 seconds

3. Immediately hold down letter D key till the display comes on then release. You will see a revolving globe (if you don’t and the display is showing the computer is running diagnosis that’s fine too). This will take 2-3 minutes.

Display showed Battery Undetected.

Support agent then started explaining the repair options. Apple Stores are closed so I can either mail in the laptop for battery repair or I can take it to Best Buy partner nearby. I decided to mail in. One of my friends had an issue with his laptop and Best Buy ended up mailing it to Apple. So it’s best to avoid that waste of time.

Got emails from Apple right away with link to payment process. I filled it out online and click submit. Done. Waiting for the box to arrive to ship my laptop to Apple. I don’t have AppleCare so my total charge is $229

MacBookPro 13" Mid-2015: Battery No Charge; need to keep power plugged in.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.