Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

First Aid Process Failed on External Hard Drive: Internal Error (-69610)

Background: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251328034?page=1

I finally managed to get rid of the Zero KB * partition formatted as "Uninitialized," by formatting the entire drive to APFS and then back to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I finally have only one 3TB partition labeled "Untitled." My woes did not end here, however.

As I tried to partition the drive into (1) a 2TB partition for Time Machine and (2) a 1TB partition for specific files backup, I get this error: Couldn’t modify partition map because file system verification failed. Please verify and repair each volume individually and then try again. : (-69803) Operation failed...

When I try to make three partitions so that I can manually delete the "Untitled," partition by reducing its size (since I can't just (-) this partition once it is selected), the horrible Zero KB * Uninitialized partition reappears in its place. This time, though, I can delete the Uninitialized partition, but the same error (Couldn’t modify partition map because file system verification failed. Please verify and repair each volume individually and then try again. : (-69803) Operation failed...) shows.

I am left with one 3TB partition labeled "Untitled."

When I run First Aid on the disk as a whole, the operation is successful. However, when I run First Aid on the "Untitled," partition, I get this error: An internal error has occurred. : (-69610) Operation failed...

What's most curious about this is that even though I get an error at the end, First Aid tells me that, "File system check exit code is 0."

I want to run First Aid successfully on all partitions and for Disk Utility to let me make the two partitions mentioned above, without having the dreadful "Uninitialized," partition reappear. What must I do for this external hard drive to start cooperating with me again?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 2, 2020 6:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2020 2:06 PM

Alright. I fixed this last night. I'm posting the solution just in case anyone ever has the same problem and errors because the people at Apple Support will not help you since they don't know how to fix this issue and will just wash their hands off the problem by telling you to contacting Customer Support for your drive's manufacturer.

What you need to do is eject/unmount each volume and then turn off the external hard drive (you can leave the external hard drive plugged in, just turn it off.)

Go into Recovery Mode by restarting your computer and pressing command + R simultaneously. Once you reach Recovery Mode, select Disk Utility.

Once Disk Utility appears on the screen, turn on the drive and make sure all volumes are mounted. Now, erase the entire disk. Run First Aid on the main one and then on the volume(s). This should lead you to "Operation Successful," on both the disk and each volume.

Now that all volumes are approved by First Aid, you can partition the drive into whatever partitions you want. Once again, run First Aid on the disk and each partition. You should get an "Operation Successful," return.

Now, unmount all volumes and then turn off the drive. Go to the Apple icon in the left uppermost corner and select restart. Let the computer restart as normal.

Once you get to your normal desktop, keep the drive off and open Disk Utility. Once Disk Utility is open, turn on the drive. Run First Aid on everything and you should get an "Operation Successful," message for all. You should be good to go!

Every time you are done with a drive and want to shut off the computer make sure to eject/unmount all volumes and then turn off the drive. Likewise, every time you want to use a drive, make sure it is turned off before the computer starts and you open Disk Utility. Moving forward, I'll also always run First Aid on all volumes before trying to store anything in them to make sure no problems arise.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2020 2:06 PM in response to annoyed11

Alright. I fixed this last night. I'm posting the solution just in case anyone ever has the same problem and errors because the people at Apple Support will not help you since they don't know how to fix this issue and will just wash their hands off the problem by telling you to contacting Customer Support for your drive's manufacturer.

What you need to do is eject/unmount each volume and then turn off the external hard drive (you can leave the external hard drive plugged in, just turn it off.)

Go into Recovery Mode by restarting your computer and pressing command + R simultaneously. Once you reach Recovery Mode, select Disk Utility.

Once Disk Utility appears on the screen, turn on the drive and make sure all volumes are mounted. Now, erase the entire disk. Run First Aid on the main one and then on the volume(s). This should lead you to "Operation Successful," on both the disk and each volume.

Now that all volumes are approved by First Aid, you can partition the drive into whatever partitions you want. Once again, run First Aid on the disk and each partition. You should get an "Operation Successful," return.

Now, unmount all volumes and then turn off the drive. Go to the Apple icon in the left uppermost corner and select restart. Let the computer restart as normal.

Once you get to your normal desktop, keep the drive off and open Disk Utility. Once Disk Utility is open, turn on the drive. Run First Aid on everything and you should get an "Operation Successful," message for all. You should be good to go!

Every time you are done with a drive and want to shut off the computer make sure to eject/unmount all volumes and then turn off the drive. Likewise, every time you want to use a drive, make sure it is turned off before the computer starts and you open Disk Utility. Moving forward, I'll also always run First Aid on all volumes before trying to store anything in them to make sure no problems arise.

First Aid Process Failed on External Hard Drive: Internal Error (-69610)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.