Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility Cannot Repair a Disk Formatted APFS

I've encountered what I consider a rather troubling error in macOS 12.2 Monterey: In Disk Utility, if a user tries to perform a "first aid" command as a bit of preventive maintenance on their drive, if that drive is formatted APFS, then the output of the process is an error message implying that the drive is irreparable and should be replaced. The exact message text is, "First Aid process has failed. If possible back up the data on this volume. Click Done to continue." In my case, this message incited me to buy a pricey new SSD drive to replace an aging Western Digital drive I was using for critical backups. It wasn't until later that I learned that there was nothing wrong with my old hard drive at all, but rather Apple's software. Yet I could find nothing in the Apple Communities about this, so I'm writing it up myself.

The message resulting from a drive repair of an APFS drive should be changed to something more appropriate such as "Disk Utility's first aid process is incompatible with the APFS file system" or whatever the exact issue is.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 7:36 AM

Boot into Recovery and then use Disk Utility First Aid on the drive. I recently encountered a third-party APFS formatted Time Machine drive on macOS 12.2 that simply errored out when using Disk Utility in the normal boot process. Once booting that 16-inch MBP M1 Pro into Recovery, I was then able to perform first aid on that external drive without an issue.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2022 7:36 AM in response to pgoddin

Boot into Recovery and then use Disk Utility First Aid on the drive. I recently encountered a third-party APFS formatted Time Machine drive on macOS 12.2 that simply errored out when using Disk Utility in the normal boot process. Once booting that 16-inch MBP M1 Pro into Recovery, I was then able to perform first aid on that external drive without an issue.

Disk Utility Cannot Repair a Disk Formatted APFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.