Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes not unlocking with FaceID

I recently got a new phone (11 Pro). I have been unlocking notes with FaceID for years. However, it's not even popping up as an option on the new phone and I can't recall the password.

I've already erased the old phone and the data in the note needs to be accessed.

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on May 2, 2020 9:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2020 4:23 AM

Read this completely --> Lock notes on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac - Apple ...

If you forgot your notes password

You can unlock a note only when you enter the password that it's locked with. If you forgot your password, Apple can't help you regain access to your locked notes.

You can create a new password, but this won’t give you access to your old notes. But it will let you password protect any notes that you create going forward with the new password. This could lead to you having multiple notes with different passwords.

If you have multiple passwords, you can't tell which password you should use when you look at your notes in the Notes list. When you open a note locked by your old password but enter your current password, you'll see an alert that you entered the wrong password with a hint for your old one. If you then enter the correct old password, you get the option to update that note's password to your current one.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2020 4:23 AM in response to kendoll911

Read this completely --> Lock notes on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac - Apple ...

If you forgot your notes password

You can unlock a note only when you enter the password that it's locked with. If you forgot your password, Apple can't help you regain access to your locked notes.

You can create a new password, but this won’t give you access to your old notes. But it will let you password protect any notes that you create going forward with the new password. This could lead to you having multiple notes with different passwords.

If you have multiple passwords, you can't tell which password you should use when you look at your notes in the Notes list. When you open a note locked by your old password but enter your current password, you'll see an alert that you entered the wrong password with a hint for your old one. If you then enter the correct old password, you get the option to update that note's password to your current one.

Notes not unlocking with FaceID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.