Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bounces in keyboard output after upfate to Catalina 10.15.4

After conversion to Catalina 10.15.4 my iMac misbehaves on my expensive iMac with fusion drive..

I have a magic keyboard, as sold with the iMac 21 inch Retina Fusion.

Often, my keyboard bounces, like entering a string of spaces (ten twenty?)instead of only one. Also this happens with the key left or right is used to navigate forward or backward in a safari page like flickr. then an arbitrary number of images are quickly shown (ten, twenty?). This can also happen with a trackpad or mouse. Or when I fill in a password then not all keystrokes are recorded immediately, so when I immediately hit enter I get an error.

Also the response is slow, what I called 'TELEX type speed' such that when I type something it will take time for a response, sometimes it happens that when I type a vowel, the various variants (a, à, ä, â) appear just before the 'a' is finally shown or sometimes it just takes a second or so before a word or letter is shown.; the typing process always is with a certain delay, as if there is a buffer that is not read or that the fusion drive is not working under Catalina.

There are alot of other issues like this: selecting a file, deleting it and then another or two files are deleted. Thsi has been reported by me many times.

I have had contact with support and others have told me also to:

• Restart in Safe Mode; then you will be fine
  • Reset NVRAM and other internal keys.

But this all does not work. It remains the same.

The computer cannot be trusted (deleting more files than selected because the buffer is still filling with files while what I saw on the screen was only one file when I hit cmd-del) and also when typing the text does not appear but after a time lag, but if I have replaced my cursor in the mean time, the change is in the new location.

In America I would try to file a suit. I hope that makes my frustration clear.

I spent quite some money to upgrade programs before the upgrade to Catalina and I do not want to revert back to an older MacOS.

I have had quite some tips but nothing helps.

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 3, 2020 1:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2020 12:35 PM

alberti-nl wrote:

• After conversion to Catalina 10.15.4 my iMac misbehaves on my expensive iMac with fusion drive..

Often, my keyboard bounces, like entering a string of spaces (ten twenty?)instead of only one. Also this happens with the key left or right is used to navigate forward or backward in a safari page like flickr. then an arbitrary number of images are quickly shown (ten, twenty?). This can also happen with a trackpad or mouse. Or when I fill in a password then not all keystrokes are recorded immediately, so when I immediately hit enter I get an error.

Also the response is slow, what I called 'TELEX type speed' such that when I type something it will take time for a response, sometimes it happens that when I type a vowel, the various variants (a, à, ä, â) appear just before the 'a' is finally shown or sometimes it just takes a second or so before a word or letter is shown.; the typing process always is with a certain delay, as if there is a buffer that is not read or that the fusion drive is not working under Catalina.
There are alot of other issues like this: selecting a file, deleting it and then another or two files are deleted. Thsi has been reported by me many times.
Restart in Safe Mode; then you will be fine
The computer cannot be trusted (deleting more files than selected because the buffer is still filling with files while what I saw on the screen was only one file when I hit cmd-del) and also when typing the text does not appear but after a time lag, but if I have replaced my cursor in the mean time, the change is in the new location.

I spent quite some money to upgrade programs before the upgrade to Catalina and I do not want to revert back to an older MacOS.

Call (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2020 12:35 PM in response to alberti-nl

alberti-nl wrote:

• After conversion to Catalina 10.15.4 my iMac misbehaves on my expensive iMac with fusion drive..

Restart in Safe Mode; then you will be fine

Call (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

May 5, 2020 5:43 AM in response to leroydouglas

I have had contact with Apple Support.

The Service Agent wanted to look at the root cause. Could it be the 2019 keyboard of my iMac that is misbehaving?

After a few disconnect/connect cycles she asked me to swap the keyboard with that of another iMac (2012). We did so and with the new keyboard everything seems to be OK for the time being.

She asked me to contact them after some time, to see if the problem remains solved; then we will have a look how to solve the issue with the 2019 keyboard itself.

:-)) I am so gratefull [ I have had the bounce problem since december ..]

May 6, 2020 1:01 AM in response to alberti-nl

Today I re-called (pun) Apple support, to switch back the keyboards and re-attach the keyboard delivered with my iMac (the one with the integrated USB connector).

The only extra step was to go to the advanced section of the keyboard in SystemPreferences, and configure (reconnect) the board .

The keyboard now is stable. Indeed . The real root cause of my problem of slow response, telex-type typing etc.

Bounces in keyboard output after upfate to Catalina 10.15.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.