Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Full SSD equals slow Mac?

When I replaced by MacBook's original HDD with a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, I partitioned the HDD.

I have an alternative OS boot partition with 100GB free space, another partition with 100 GB of free space and El Capitan in 300 GB of space of which I am using 290GB, so about 10GB free.

My MacBook is running a little slow lately.

I had thought that HDD's weren't constrained by partition in the way that SDD's were but I've started to think that my MacBook is behaving like a computer with a full disk.

What I was getting at is;

Is my computer behaving as if it had 210 GB free out of 500GB

OR

Only 10 GB free out of 300GB?

Any clarity you can offer will be much appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 3, 2020 5:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2020 6:54 AM

If you are booted up to your El Capitan partition then your mac only has 10GBs of free space, regardless of what free space is on other partitions, the mac does all its housekeeping and reading and writing of system files on the disk/ partition it is booted to.

The mac does not use other partitions from the boot drive. If you want to save files to other partitions then you must tell it to do so.

The next thing is that you need to have more free space on your disk/ partition, the general consensus of opinion is that you should never let your macs boot disk run below 15-20GBs of free space. It will begin to run slow, and if it gets very low on free space may just lock up. That could prove very problematic, the mac needs room to breathe, it is constantly writing and moving files around. So any files you do not need on a daily basis you should copy over to an external disk or those partitions on your SSD. Movies, images, music usually take up the most space, so start by copying them over. When you are sure they have copied over successfully, then you can delete them from your El Capitan disk/ partition.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2020 6:54 AM in response to gold_fish

If you are booted up to your El Capitan partition then your mac only has 10GBs of free space, regardless of what free space is on other partitions, the mac does all its housekeeping and reading and writing of system files on the disk/ partition it is booted to.

The mac does not use other partitions from the boot drive. If you want to save files to other partitions then you must tell it to do so.

The next thing is that you need to have more free space on your disk/ partition, the general consensus of opinion is that you should never let your macs boot disk run below 15-20GBs of free space. It will begin to run slow, and if it gets very low on free space may just lock up. That could prove very problematic, the mac needs room to breathe, it is constantly writing and moving files around. So any files you do not need on a daily basis you should copy over to an external disk or those partitions on your SSD. Movies, images, music usually take up the most space, so start by copying them over. When you are sure they have copied over successfully, then you can delete them from your El Capitan disk/ partition.

Full SSD equals slow Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.