Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2017 MacBook Pro screen issues

good evening,

I have a screen issue that just started happening earlier today. See picture...

this mbp is not used regularly by any stretch; approx 2/3 times a week. And is only 2.5 years old.....

ive reset smc and pram but to no avail.......

it’s a 2017 Touch Bar model no. A1706. Which is the same model as the 2016 version, but Apple state on the support page that only 2016 4 thunderbolt models are covered by a screen issue replacement program.

the lines do disappear when the screen is almost closed, but cannot use the keyboard as a result.

i have spoken to support, who advised I have to pay £400 as an initial payment, which may go up when assessed by engineers.... I can’t believe this is the position Apple are putting customers in for what is clearly a hardware fault for something that is only just over 2.5 years old and £1650 when new??

Any suggestions welcomed?

Posted on May 3, 2020 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2020 3:59 PM

If you're referring to the defective display cable service program Apple has in place then your issue is not what they are repairing. When moving the screen back and forth a Stage Light effect appears at the bottom of the screen under the Dock. Apple has chosen the 13" 2016 as the one for the repair program. If they see your machine as something that they decide to cover then they will refund you the repair cost (provided you decide to pay for it) upon your request. At this point you will need to pay for repair.

"i have spoken to support, who advised I have to pay £400 as an initial payment,"

Are you sure you spoke to Apple? They never charge a customer for a repair initially before diagnosing the problem in person. They generally have you send the machine to them for a free inspection. They will quote you the repair cost. If you decide to go with the repair they will ask for your payment info, then they will proceed with the repair. If you decline they will send you the un-repaired Mac back with no charge to you for shipping or diagnostic.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2020 3:59 PM in response to humpy76

If you're referring to the defective display cable service program Apple has in place then your issue is not what they are repairing. When moving the screen back and forth a Stage Light effect appears at the bottom of the screen under the Dock. Apple has chosen the 13" 2016 as the one for the repair program. If they see your machine as something that they decide to cover then they will refund you the repair cost (provided you decide to pay for it) upon your request. At this point you will need to pay for repair.

"i have spoken to support, who advised I have to pay £400 as an initial payment,"

Are you sure you spoke to Apple? They never charge a customer for a repair initially before diagnosing the problem in person. They generally have you send the machine to them for a free inspection. They will quote you the repair cost. If you decide to go with the repair they will ask for your payment info, then they will proceed with the repair. If you decline they will send you the un-repaired Mac back with no charge to you for shipping or diagnostic.

2017 MacBook Pro screen issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.