Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

L2TP VPN Catalina

I am not an IT person. I am just a loyal lifetime Mac user. I have a major issue right now with Apple.

I cannot connect to L2TP VPN since using Catalina (which came preinstalled on my MacBook Pro 15inch).

I need to be able to access Remote Desktop for work and to do this I need to first connect to my work server via VPN.

I am able connect without any issues on my Mac Pro desktop, which is still running Mojave (and which I am terrified to upgrade to Catalina).

I have read that Apple has removed VPN connectivity via L2TP, even though system preferences still allows it to be set up. I have tried third party VPN software such as VPN Tracker but it does not work either. Many people seem to have this issue and have not been able to find a solution.

Can Apple please resolve this issue urgently?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 3, 2020 8:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2020 9:47 PM

I seem to have solved the problem.

I have two Macs connected to the same wifi. That's what seems to be the issue. After turning off the wifi on my MacPro desktop, the VPN connection worked without any issues on the MacBook Pro. It doesn't make sense because the MacPro was not connected to the VPN while I was attempted to connect from the MacBook Pro, it was connected only to the same wifi. Seems very strange, but it worked.

Hope this helps someone.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2020 9:47 PM in response to hels71

I seem to have solved the problem.

I have two Macs connected to the same wifi. That's what seems to be the issue. After turning off the wifi on my MacPro desktop, the VPN connection worked without any issues on the MacBook Pro. It doesn't make sense because the MacPro was not connected to the VPN while I was attempted to connect from the MacBook Pro, it was connected only to the same wifi. Seems very strange, but it worked.

Hope this helps someone.

L2TP VPN Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.