Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to clean i 2001 iMac

Hi there,

Still getting thousands of security errors even after I corrected the missing serial number.

I know the three different key selections to install last/latest and original. Last then latest are both High Sierra. The third is Lion and it won’t install because of missing components.

This computer worked. But I would rather not strain it with the best it can handle. I’ve downloaded El Capitan and Sierra installers from Apple but is the only way to use them is bootable usb. I have bootable Snow Leopard AND Lion which do work and Yosemite + Mavericks as dmgs but how do I install them as the main operating system?

As always any help is greatly appreciated.

Also have Snow Leopard Install DVD but it isn’t accepted.

Thanks again.

J

How to clean install MacOS (hopefully Sierra) on wiped but three month old HDD.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 4, 2020 3:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2020 10:59 AM

2001? High Sierra will only run on 2010 or later Macs.

Snow Leopard will only run on 2006-Early 2011 Macs.

Macs don't have a clean install.

If you need to erase and install the system you have three options.

command-R boot Open Disk Utility, and wipe only the data partition. Note the formatting required below.

command-option-shift-R boot, Open Disk Utility, erase the drive.

Find the original installer disk if the Mac is between March 15, 2010 and July 22, 2011 in release date.

Find a Snow Leopard retail disk looking like below:

if it is between January 7, 2006 release date and March 15, 2010 with the fine print of it being 10.6.3.

Older Macs see this article on which disk is necessary to wipe the drive:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6413

Use the Option key to boot any CD that is compatible. The 'C' does not work as well.

Formatting:

8.1 to 10.5.8 on a PowerPC Mac - HFS+/Apple partition map.

10.6.3 to 10.12 HFS+/GUID partitioning.

10.13 or later only use APFS for Solid State drives. Platter drives can use the older formatting.

Once Disk Utility on the installer formats the appropriate way, quitting it, and then running the installer is possible.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2020 10:59 AM in response to James Phoenix

2001? High Sierra will only run on 2010 or later Macs.

Snow Leopard will only run on 2006-Early 2011 Macs.

Macs don't have a clean install.

If you need to erase and install the system you have three options.

command-R boot Open Disk Utility, and wipe only the data partition. Note the formatting required below.

command-option-shift-R boot, Open Disk Utility, erase the drive.

Find the original installer disk if the Mac is between March 15, 2010 and July 22, 2011 in release date.

Find a Snow Leopard retail disk looking like below:

if it is between January 7, 2006 release date and March 15, 2010 with the fine print of it being 10.6.3.

Older Macs see this article on which disk is necessary to wipe the drive:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6413

Use the Option key to boot any CD that is compatible. The 'C' does not work as well.

Formatting:

8.1 to 10.5.8 on a PowerPC Mac - HFS+/Apple partition map.

10.6.3 to 10.12 HFS+/GUID partitioning.

10.13 or later only use APFS for Solid State drives. Platter drives can use the older formatting.

Once Disk Utility on the installer formats the appropriate way, quitting it, and then running the installer is possible.

May 15, 2020 11:24 AM in response to James Phoenix

James Phoenix Said:

"How to clean i 2001 iMac[...]How to clean install MacOS (hopefully Sierra) on wiped but three month old HDD."

-------

You Cannot - Not on a 2001 Mac.

So...

Please Re-Clarify - what is the version of you iMac? 2001, is not a year in time when macOS 10.13 High Sierra version was around.

To Find Out your Version:

1. Go to: Apple Menu
  2. View: Third line-down

Jun 19, 2020 12:48 AM in response to a brody

Hi again,

I mis-typed! I meant to write 2011.

You guys clearly, knew that though.

This is me just getting round to having time to fix it, and i have done just that so thank you.

The Snow Leopard disc worked after I replaced the optical drive!

I just thought it didn’t like the disc as I bought that disc for my 2006 Mac and thought it was too old but you clarified that and I swapped the drive.

So yes, thanks for your help.

Sorry I took so long.

J.

How to clean i 2001 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.