Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install Sierra on a clean disk?

My iMac's serial # is D2***HJW. Everymac says it is a 2011. "About My iMac says is a 2009. Ihad a system crash, so now I'm trying to install new OS. It appears Sierra or High Sierra is what I need. From the bApp Store, Sierra came in as a ZIP file, contanining Sierra as an .app type. Copied ,it to a USB stick, CMD P fails to see it. Cloning is not available to me. Sierra from the APP Store does not work. So I tried "off the internet"., let it run all night, all it came up with is an "Apple Support" ison and loss of my mouse, can't select anything. Tried the internet source a second tikme, this time it took 12 hours to come up with same thing. Anybody suggest another option?

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 2:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 3:42 PM

You don't just copy it to a flash drive. You need to follow these instructions: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support (IN)

Similar questions

14 replies

Jan 19, 2022 6:09 PM in response to terry220

I have just downloaded the High Sierra OS from. https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1946?locale=en_US. It comes in as a .dmg file 2 GB. Makes no mention of further processing needed. I burned it to a DVD as a disk image, but it arrived as a .pkg which I already know it won't work. I opened the .pkg file and within found 9 more .pkg files.. While the Apple reference makes no mention of what iss needed, it seems obvious it is aimed at a working computer that will execute .pkg files. Which brings me back to my question, Is there a version of High Sierra (or Sierra) that I can download from somewhere that is intended to be installed on an empty hard drive from either CMD R or OPT?

Jan 19, 2022 5:04 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you for your suggestion. I did check that reference. Sierra is not accessible from within it, but High Sierra is listed as available. Unfortunately, when I click on High Sierra, an error message pops up, "cannot be found". These instructions also indicate that an Applications folder must be available. However, I'm trying to install an OS onto an empty freshly formatted hard drive. There is no Applications folder. I believe I'm in need of some form of OS (Sierra or High Sierra). That CMD P recognizes, executes and does the install from within an external device such as a USB stick, or a DVD. Is this available somewhere?

Jan 20, 2022 9:56 AM in response to terry220

Evidently the Sierra installer is not available any more. You'll have to go with High Sierra.

Download the High Sierra installer, open the app, go to the Resources folder and select "createinstallmedia" and use it in the Terminal command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Make sure the flash drive is named "MyVolume".

Jan 20, 2022 7:26 PM in response to Old Toad

I never did receive the desired website to download the Full Install of High Sierra. This afternoon I went to our local Apple Store where they advised me to bring in her iMac 27 and they will install the most current working OS at no charge.. The trick will be to get this really heavy computer down two flights of stairs, then into my car, then arriving at the shopping center, lugging it from the parking lot into the Apple Store, a long walk. The folks at the Apple Store absolutely refused to put the needed file onto my USB stick, forcing this mighty inconvenient approach. They will not come out to my car to carry it in.

Jan 21, 2022 5:01 PM in response to Old Toad

I did ask this specific question, with my USB stick in my hand. They declined, telling me "We can't do that!" My appeal that at my advanced age (90), having to lug this mighty heavy computer across town to the shopping center, then physically carry it from the huge parking lot into the middle of the mall was/is a real inconvenience fell on deaf ears. I am not impressed with Apple's concern for customer support.

Jan 22, 2022 11:23 AM in response to Old Toad

I agree, but already attempted. Local Apple Store "Cannot do that!". So I appealed by offering to buy their USB stick containing the needed OS. To that they repeated, "We cannot do that!" But they countered by inviting me to bring in my wife's iMac 27 and they would install the needed OS FREE! I repeated my appeal that at my advanced age (90), bringing bringing the very heavy iMac 27 scross town to the Store is might inconvenient. They did not budge, still want me to bring it in. Stay tuned.......

Jan 22, 2022 6:50 PM in response to Old Toad

The Apple rep I was talking to gave me 2 references for approved Apple service, one of London Drugs at our giant St. Vital Mall. Unfortunately, London Drugs terminated that service 5 years ago when the guy providing it retired. Guess they did not notify the Apple folks. What was not mentioned was a local Apple Store "Simply Computing" that likely could provide the service. Small corner neighbourhood store across town. Curious not mentioned. Anyways, I bit the bullet and physically carried her iMac 27 across town to the Apple Store in the almost equally large Polo Parl Mall, where it is now receiving a replacement OS, theoretically free. Stay tuned.....

Jan 23, 2022 12:05 PM in response to terry220

Yesterday I bit the bullet and hauled my wife's really heavy iMac 27 across town to the Apple Store in the Polo Park Mall, had to leave it overnight. Got an email that it was ready for pickup, which I did and got it back home safely. Set it up, plugged it in and the system icon appeared to be happy, progress bar started normally. Got to about 90% and stalled. 3 hours later, it is still stopped at 90%. It would appear that their "test" routine stopped short at seeing the progress bar starting normally., they failed to wait until it actually completed its boot routine. Dammmmm. I am clearly not a happy camper. Stay tuned.......

How to install Sierra on a clean disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.