Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 2nd Generation - not loading content seamlessly

On my Apple TV 2nd Generation - I get an error message "cannot load content. try again later", or "Netflix is currently unavailable try again later", takes ages to load either Netflix or other apps. I have updated latest software, reset to factory settings even tried my internet provider; but both my MacBook and iPhone stream seamlessly on Netflix while on my same wifi.

Please help, I have tried a new HDMI too, of course unplugging and plugging back in.

At times streams easily, at times stop abruptly, usually doesn't go to next episode.

Sista wants to stream <3

-

Posted on May 4, 2020 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2020 7:42 AM

The 2nd gen doesn't run apps, just preset 'channels' sent via server.

Other devices working doesn't rule out the network

Check speedtest to see the current internet connection

Make sure DNS is set to auto (settings - general - network)

Get a network report from istumbler, netstumbler or similar. Look for signal strength, noise, nearby networks

Be aware that the 2nd gen is over 9 year old hardware so that is also a factor. It is classified as obsolete and no longer supported.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2020 7:42 AM in response to tuchini

The 2nd gen doesn't run apps, just preset 'channels' sent via server.

Other devices working doesn't rule out the network

Check speedtest to see the current internet connection

Make sure DNS is set to auto (settings - general - network)

Get a network report from istumbler, netstumbler or similar. Look for signal strength, noise, nearby networks

Be aware that the 2nd gen is over 9 year old hardware so that is also a factor. It is classified as obsolete and no longer supported.

May 4, 2020 7:52 AM in response to tuchini

There is no speedtest function in Apple TV settings. You would have to go to speedtest.net or use their app via another device. If you performed a network test on Apple TV that will not account for issues like interference, the network report would be needed to see evidence of that.

Ultimately I do recommend an upgrade from a 2nd gen, not only are issues going to be more common due to age but providers have also been dropping support for their server versions available on the older models.

Apple TV 2nd Generation - not loading content seamlessly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.