Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro dead? Few colored lines on edges of screen.

Help? My 2018 MacBook Pro shows only colored lines on 3 edges of the screen. I've tried all the restart sequences I can find (reset NVRAM/PRAM, restore mode, etc.) and nothing helps. Plugging in external monitor shows nothing. Is it fully dead? Repairable?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on May 4, 2020 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2020 1:53 PM

Try closing the laptop's display to force the laptop into Clamshell mode to see if you get anything to show up on the external display.

Sometimes you can log in blindly by typing the first character of a user name and pressing the "Return" key. Then type your password followed by pressing the "Return" key again to submit the password.

To me it looks like the built-in Display Assembly is bad (see lower right corner where the LCD panel looks like it is damaged). It can be hard getting video to show up on an external display when the built-in display sort of works.

If you get video on the external display then the built-in Display Assembly will need to be replaced, otherwise it is hard to say. You will need to have Apple examine the laptop to determine what is wrong.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2020 1:53 PM in response to mp6333

Try closing the laptop's display to force the laptop into Clamshell mode to see if you get anything to show up on the external display.

Sometimes you can log in blindly by typing the first character of a user name and pressing the "Return" key. Then type your password followed by pressing the "Return" key again to submit the password.

To me it looks like the built-in Display Assembly is bad (see lower right corner where the LCD panel looks like it is damaged). It can be hard getting video to show up on an external display when the built-in display sort of works.

If you get video on the external display then the built-in Display Assembly will need to be replaced, otherwise it is hard to say. You will need to have Apple examine the laptop to determine what is wrong.

MacBook Pro dead? Few colored lines on edges of screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.