Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air battery life reduced after update.

I have the first gen iPad Air. I updated the iOS on it recently to 12.4.6 from like 9. I only updated because most apps (YouTube,Netflix,chrome) wouldn’t update on the old iOS. I checked to see if my iPad Air was supported by the new iOS on the Apple website. It said it was so I updated. Now after two weeks of having the new iOS, I noticed the battery life is way way shorter than before. I only use this iPad to listen to a podcast once every two days or so before bed. The battery would last me on average about a month or so, using the old iOS. Now I have to charge it twice a week. Same hardware, same usage, same everything, just a new iOS. Why is this happening? I wouldn’t mind if it the battery life was slightly shorter but this is like 100 times shorter. Is there a way to go back to an old iOS? I’d prefer better battery life than updated apps. TIA

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on May 4, 2020 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2020 3:07 AM

You may need to entertain the possibility that the rechargeable Li-ion battery in that iPad may be failing.

If no joy with the factory reset, I suggest contacting/reaching out to Apple Product support and services.

Tap on the first link below and scroll down some to get to the Apple Product Support section and phone numbers for your location/region.

https://www.apple.com/contact/

OR

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

Best of Luck to You!

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2020 3:07 AM in response to lbramos

You may need to entertain the possibility that the rechargeable Li-ion battery in that iPad may be failing.

If no joy with the factory reset, I suggest contacting/reaching out to Apple Product support and services.

Tap on the first link below and scroll down some to get to the Apple Product Support section and phone numbers for your location/region.

https://www.apple.com/contact/

OR

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

Best of Luck to You!

May 4, 2020 12:02 PM in response to Misstacio

The iPad Air is a 7 year old device. I would venture to say the battery is probably ready to be replaced. However, Apple does not replace batteries on the iPad, they replace the device. Given the age of the device, it is not cost effective to pay the repair cost to replace that device. I would suggest considering replacing it with a newer one, that supports the newer iOS for apps. You can also consider a refurbished device if cost is a problem. See this, Refurbished iPad - Apple

May 13, 2020 6:08 PM in response to Misstacio

Tap on the link below to my iDevice/iOS performance/optimisation/battery optimization user tips link.

Slow iPad on iOS 9, 10 or 11! - Apple Community

Try all of these tips and leave each tip active together.

DO NOT simply try every tip individually, expecting just one tip to be a performance “cure all”.

Many of these tips are designed to work together to help improve overall iOS/iDevice performance/battery performance.

Good Luck!

May 4, 2020 12:09 PM in response to Misstacio

You should change the battery if this keeps happening to your iPad Air sorry that it is going through problems and I am here to help you with your issue call up like a phone company Apple and I will give you their number - 0800-048-0408 that is their customer service and they will get into further detail on why this is happening sorry that it is happening again. Riley

May 13, 2020 3:25 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I have the same issue reported here, the iPad Air (A1474) was working perfectly, with the battery lasting at least a day (intensive Netflix, youtube and games use), but after upgrading to iOS 12.4.6 the battery lasts 5 minutes... and sometimes it reboots by itself (using or not using apps), sometimes it just won't turn on, even connected to power, staying at the "no battery - charging" signal (the batteyr symbol)... I can turn it on, sometimes, plugin it to the computer, but it doesn't always work...

So, I know it's a seven years old device, but it doesn't make sense that the issues appeared on the same day that the upgrade to 12.4.6 was done, so to blame it on an old device/battery, seems like a bad excuse for some software issue on this upgrade...

My two cents on it :)

May 13, 2020 9:31 AM in response to lbramos

Five minutes!? If a full battery is lasting 5 minutes, then a process is stuck. Reboot the iPad. Buy again, if the battery is failing, which I would venture to say it is for that age, the stress of an OS update can make a big difference. It is up to you how to move from here, but because Apple does not replace batteries on the devices, and replaces the entire device, it is not really cost effective to replace that old a device with a like one. The purchase of a newer one would make more sense.

May 13, 2020 9:45 AM in response to Misstacio

You can try one of these hings: Turn off bluetooth, Turn auto brightnes on, go into settings>Battery and check what app is causing the problem, go into Settings>General>Backround App Refresh and turn that off. If nothing works you can either try contacting apple or I also just reccomend you buy the new iPad 7th gen, or an refurbished iPad 6th gen, They are reliable and not so expensive.

May 14, 2020 2:07 AM in response to MichelPM

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your suggestions.

I was able to turn on the iPad again, so I backed it up, did a "settings reset" and deleted most of the apps. Then I tried first "Airplane mode" and it was able to keep working for a few hours. After, I turned the wifi on and it still kept the 100% battery level for an hour.

After that I tried to start Netflix, with the tablet plugged in to the power outlet (at 100% battery), and it went off again... I still wasn't able to turn it on again, but if I manage it, I will do a full factory reset and see if that works.

After 6 years of apps and iOS upgrades, I think it's worth trying the full factory reset and see if a fresh new installations improves it behavior.

I'll let you know :)

iPad Air battery life reduced after update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.