Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mispronunciation in French using MacOS

When MacOS reads French text, it always mispronounces a word beginning with an uppercase letter followed by apostrophe. For example, N'avons is pronounced like "IN AVON" instead of "NAVON". I don't know how to bring this to Apple's attention, but I hope someone who can fix it reads this.

Posted on May 4, 2020 5:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2020 9:32 AM

It turns out the MacOS is correct, but it is an easy mistake to make. A word like "n'avons" should properly have a straight quote or foot-mark as the apostrophe. But I have some texts that have it as a curly apostrophe, like ‘ in "n‘avons". MacOS reads that as separating N from AVONS.

2 replies

May 5, 2020 6:51 AM in response to Duane Garrett

Duane Garrett wrote:

When MacOS reads French text, it always mispronounces a word beginning with an uppercase letter followed by apostrophe. For example, N'avons is pronounced like "IN AVON" instead of "NAVON". I don't know how to bring this to Apple's attention, but I hope someone who can fix it reads this.

You can bring it to Apple attention by submitting

Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Mispronunciation in French using MacOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.