Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Personal requests and music transfer not working

On setting up my HomePod I get the following message:

Some features may not work on this network

HomePod features like airplay and personal requests may not work on “(WiFi ssid)” because it does not support peer-to-peer connections.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209643

And indeed those features do not work. What exactly could be causing the problem? Is it a router setting, or ISP feature the is blocking the connection?

thanks.

HomePod, 13

Posted on May 5, 2020 1:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2020 4:08 PM

Hello,

This would be caused by your Wi-Fi router. Most likely the router is blocking the necessary network ports used for Apple’s services.

TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies

May 6, 2020 8:26 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi, thank you for the suggestion.

I don’t think I have guest or client isolation enabled, however I am very unfamiliar with this router (mikrotik hap ac2), so there could be some default or isp configured settings that I am not aware of.

i have made enquiries with my isp so will see if they have any advice.

Thanks.

May 6, 2020 2:21 PM in response to jd78

A bit of an update, I tried another router (tp link archer d7) which I am more familiar with and I am sure has no isolation or guest WiFi enabled, and got the same results.

For any personal request Siri just says it can’t be performed and to check the HomePod and iPhone are on the same network (which they definitely are).

The only further info I have is that my isp uses “carrier-grade NAT” where the external IP address is different from the router address. This means I cannot forward ports to allow external connections.

However I would have thought all HomePod to iPhone connections would be internal?

Still waiting for further input from my isp.

Personal requests and music transfer not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.