Apple Music Cuts Out on HomePod

I recently moved to the US from Spain and changed the location of my Apple Music account accordingly. Since then, whenever I stream music on my HomePod from Apple Music (using Siri), it plays the first few seconds of the requested song and then cuts out. Sometimes it goes on to some other random song, sometimes it just stops playing. However, if I search for a song in Apple Music on my iPhone and select the HomePod as the speaker, it plays with no issues. If I select music in Apple Music on my MacBook it also plays through the HomePod with no issues. What can be wrong when Streaming music directly on the HomePod? Does anyone have an idea?

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2023 12:16 PM

Hello kaarrll,

Thank you for letting us know. Try to reset the HomePod to see if that rewsolves the issue. You can find the steps here: Reset HomePod or HomePod mini - Apple Support

"Before you begin

• If your HomePod speaker isn’t responding, first try to restart it with the Home app. If you don't see an option to restart, or HomePod still doesn't respond after restarting, reset it to factory settings.
  • If you have two HomePod speakers set up as a stereo pair, you must ungroup the stereo pair before you can reset HomePod.
  • After you reset HomePod, set up HomePod again.

Reset HomePod or HomePod mini to factory settings

To reset your HomePod speaker to its factory settings, first remove it from the Home app, then press the top of HomePod or HomePod mini to reset it.

Remove HomePod or HomePod mini from the Home app

1. Open the Home app on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac that's signed in with the Apple ID that you used to set up HomePod.
  2. Tap or click HomePod.
  3. Select the Settings icon  or scroll down to HomePod settings.
  4. Select Reset HomePod.
  5. iPhone with Home app open showing Reset HomePod
  6. Select Remove Accessory.

Reset HomePod or HomePod mini

1. Unplug HomePod or unplug the power adapter for HomePod mini. Wait 10 seconds, then plug HomePod back in.
  2. Wait 10 seconds, then touch your finger to the top of HomePod and hold it there.
  3. The white spinning light will turn red. Keep your finger down. 
  4. Siri will say that your HomePod is about to reset. When you hear three beeps, you can lift your finger.

Restore HomePod mini with a Mac or PC

If you can't reset HomePod mini, you can restore it. Restoring your HomePod mini resets it and updates it to the latest software.

1. Plug HomePod mini into your computer using the USB-C cable that came with it.
  2. Wait a few seconds. If you're using a Mac, open a Finder window. If you're using a PC, open the latest version of iTunes.
  3. Select your HomePod when it appears on your computer. 
  4. Click Restore HomePod.
  5. Restore HomePod option on Mac

You'll see a notification on your Mac or PC when HomePod mini is done restoring."

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2023 12:16 PM in response to kaarrll

Hello kaarrll,

Thank you for letting us know. Try to reset the HomePod to see if that rewsolves the issue. You can find the steps here: Reset HomePod or HomePod mini - Apple Support

"Before you begin

• If your HomePod speaker isn’t responding, first try to restart it with the Home app. If you don't see an option to restart, or HomePod still doesn't respond after restarting, reset it to factory settings.
  • If you have two HomePod speakers set up as a stereo pair, you must ungroup the stereo pair before you can reset HomePod.
  • After you reset HomePod, set up HomePod again.

Reset HomePod or HomePod mini to factory settings

To reset your HomePod speaker to its factory settings, first remove it from the Home app, then press the top of HomePod or HomePod mini to reset it.

Remove HomePod or HomePod mini from the Home app

1. Open the Home app on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac that's signed in with the Apple ID that you used to set up HomePod.
  2. Tap or click HomePod.
  3. Select the Settings icon  or scroll down to HomePod settings.
  4. Select Reset HomePod.
  5. iPhone with Home app open showing Reset HomePod
  6. Select Remove Accessory.

Reset HomePod or HomePod mini

1. Unplug HomePod or unplug the power adapter for HomePod mini. Wait 10 seconds, then plug HomePod back in.
  2. Wait 10 seconds, then touch your finger to the top of HomePod and hold it there.
  3. The white spinning light will turn red. Keep your finger down. 
  4. Siri will say that your HomePod is about to reset. When you hear three beeps, you can lift your finger.

Restore HomePod mini with a Mac or PC

If you can't reset HomePod mini, you can restore it. Restoring your HomePod mini resets it and updates it to the latest software.

1. Plug HomePod mini into your computer using the USB-C cable that came with it.
  2. Wait a few seconds. If you're using a Mac, open a Finder window. If you're using a PC, open the latest version of iTunes.
  3. Select your HomePod when it appears on your computer. 
  4. Click Restore HomePod.
  5. Restore HomePod option on Mac

You'll see a notification on your Mac or PC when HomePod mini is done restoring."

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Sep 5, 2023 11:58 AM in response to danakayw

So this is what happens in a nutshell:

1. Request a song from Siri - nothing happens.
  2. Request again and the wrong song plays for a few seconds and then stops.
  3. Try again with another song request - same thing happens as above.

How do I get real help with this from Apple, given that I am actually paying a subscription for a service that is not working properly?

Sep 5, 2023 11:37 AM in response to kaarrll

Hey there kaarrll,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We'll be happy to help with improving your Music streaming experience. Have you tried restarting all of the devices? If not, start there. Test playing the songs through the iPhone speaker. Does that behave in the same way, skipping to the next song? If so, the songs in question may not be available in your new region. If not, the issue may be isolated to the HomePod.

Take care.

Sep 5, 2023 11:54 AM in response to danakayw

So, streamed music from Apple Music plays just fine throughout my iPhone speaker. I'm still having problems doing the same on my HomePod when using Siri. Just now, to test it, I said "Hey Siri, play Red Sails in the Sunset by Nat King Cole. Nothing Happened. Repeat. The song started playing, but stopped after 10 seconds AND, (this is the first time this has happened) it played a completely different song - something by Sammy Davies Jnr! Tried again with the same exact same sequence of events as described above except this time it started playing Perry Como song!!

Apple Music Cuts Out on HomePod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.