Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod mini not playing from Apple Music

When I say “hey Siri, please play…”, it says what it is going to play but never plays it. Example: Today I said “hey siri please play some 80s music”, it came back and said “Now playing 80s Essentials” (or something like that) but no music ever played. Yesterday, it said “I’m having a problem playing from Apple Music” and at that time I was having issues on all my devices. That issue was very temporary but, when it went away, my HomePod Minis still wouldn’t play. The problem still exists today.

What’s going on?

HomePod mini, 15

Posted on Apr 16, 2022 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 10:20 AM

SnagLoopDog wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried what you said. I unplugged all three Homepod Minis and then the router. I let the router sit unplugged for a couple minutes then plugged it back in. When the light on the router indicated that it was finished booting up and was online, I tested the connection with my iMac. It had connection to the internet. I plugged in just one Homepod Mini and tested it. I still get the error that it's having a problem with Apple Music. I did test Apple Music on my iMac and my iphone. Both can play Apple Music. I asked the HomePod Mini if it was connected to Wifi and it said "Wifi is on".

What else can I try?

OK - at this point I would jump to the last two steps in Apple Support's article, "If HomePod mini or HomePod isn't responding" (clear the HomePods out of the Home app config and hard reset(s)). On the upside, there's not a whole lot of configuration steps to getting your HomePods working beyond the initial setup from iPhone/iPad... I expect they'll be resurrected at that point.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2022 10:20 AM in response to SnagLoopDog

SnagLoopDog wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried what you said. I unplugged all three Homepod Minis and then the router. I let the router sit unplugged for a couple minutes then plugged it back in. When the light on the router indicated that it was finished booting up and was online, I tested the connection with my iMac. It had connection to the internet. I plugged in just one Homepod Mini and tested it. I still get the error that it's having a problem with Apple Music. I did test Apple Music on my iMac and my iphone. Both can play Apple Music. I asked the HomePod Mini if it was connected to Wifi and it said "Wifi is on".

What else can I try?

OK - at this point I would jump to the last two steps in Apple Support's article, "If HomePod mini or HomePod isn't responding" (clear the HomePods out of the Home app config and hard reset(s)). On the upside, there's not a whole lot of configuration steps to getting your HomePods working beyond the initial setup from iPhone/iPad... I expect they'll be resurrected at that point.

Apr 18, 2022 6:46 AM in response to SnagLoopDog

Update: The Homepod Minis are now back to saying "Sorry there was a problem with Apple Music" after an attempt to play anything. I've tried all three that I have and they all do the same thing. Separate locations. They all act like they are going to play a very specific thing or station but end up with the Apple Music error after trying to play anything.

Apr 18, 2022 8:29 AM in response to SnagLoopDog

With HomePod minis, this kind of flakiness seems to point to WiFi issues more often than not. Have you tried unplugging your wifi router recently? I would try this after unplugging your HomePods, then once your WiFi router is back online, start the HomePods and see how things work... If this addresses the issue, at least temporarily, it'll be informative and suggest that we dive more deeply into your available WiFi config options.

Apr 18, 2022 9:08 AM in response to bgmeek

What else can I try?

Apr 18, 2022 11:55 AM in response to SnagLoopDog

Cool. It seems that the HomePods are happiest with plain vanilla WiFi setups and are overly susceptible to WiFi confusion. If they act up again (or stop acting correctly), go straight to your WiFi router and do a reboot… the HomePods tend to sort themselves after that.

You might also Google your WiFi router model and HomePod (both in quotes) to see if you can spot any suggestions for keeping the HomePods happy… giving each a fixed IP address, for example. Best of luck!

HomePod mini not playing from Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.