Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 16" and LED Cinema Display

Trying to connect my LED Cinema Display to my new MBP 16" (4 USB-C ports). The Cinema Display is the MC007LL/A model with the 3-headed cable (USB-A, MagSafe power, MiniDisplay).

I can not get the display to be recognized and to work. I have tried Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2, a Thunderbolt 3 to MiniDisplay, and have tried USB-A (from one of the USB ports on the back of the monitor) to Thunderbolt 3.

None have worked.

However, the USB Hub in the Cinema Display is working, as my peripherals plugged into the USB ports on the back of the monitor are showing up on the Mac, through a Thunderbolt 3 to USB-A (that is one of the three heads coming from the main monitor cable).

I was on the phone with Apple Support, and after trying a few things which did not work, he said upon further digging, that the MacBook Pro is NOT compatible with MiniDisplay monitors.

Any ideas? or am I hosed. Thanks for any help

MacBook

Posted on May 5, 2020 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2020 10:38 AM

Donald Levick wrote:

Trying to connect my LED Cinema Display to my new MBP 16" (4 USB-C ports). The Cinema Display is the MC007LL/A model with the 3-headed cable (USB-A, MagSafe power, MiniDisplay).

I can not get the display to be recognized and to work. I have tried Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2, a Thunderbolt 3 to MiniDisplay, and have tried USB-A (from one of the USB ports on the back of the monitor) to Thunderbolt 3.
None have worked.

However, the USB Hub in the Cinema Display is working, as my peripherals plugged into the USB ports on the back of the monitor are showing up on the Mac, through a Thunderbolt 3 to USB-A (that is one of the three heads coming from the main monitor cable).

I was on the phone with Apple Support, and after trying a few things which did not work, he said upon further digging, that the MacBook Pro is NOT compatible with MiniDisplay monitors.

Generally speaking to make the jump from computer output to display input at most one adapter, in most cases you can not stack adapters.

Mini DisplayPort  

If you're using a Mini DisplayPort cable with a Mini DisplayPort

display, use a third-party USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter. Check with

its manufacturer for compatibility with your Mac and display model.

This is the correct solution for the Apple LED Cinema Display.

Mini DisplayPort is not the same as Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 They have the same shape, but use different symbols on the cable and port.

Adapters for the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) or USB-C port on your Mac - Apple Support
 https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207443

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2020 10:38 AM in response to Donald Levick

Donald Levick wrote:

None have worked.

Generally speaking to make the jump from computer output to display input at most one adapter, in most cases you can not stack adapters.

Mini DisplayPort  

If you're using a Mini DisplayPort cable with a Mini DisplayPort

display, use a third-party USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter. Check with

its manufacturer for compatibility with your Mac and display model.

This is the correct solution for the Apple LED Cinema Display.

Mini DisplayPort is not the same as Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 They have the same shape, but use different symbols on the cable and port.

Adapters for the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) or USB-C port on your Mac - Apple Support
 https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207443

May 6, 2020 11:07 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you for responding. I tried a third party MiniDisplay to Thunderbolt 3 adapter and it did not work. I called Apple and after some digging told me the Cinema Display (see model number above) is NOT compatible with the MBP 16"

Are you suggesting that it is compatible? If so, can you recommend a reliable 3rd party adapter, since the one i tried did not work?

thank you for the time and help

May 6, 2020 11:31 AM in response to Donald Levick

Donald Levick wrote:
I have tried:
1) Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2,
2) a Thunderbolt 3 to MiniDisplay, and
3) have tried USB-A (from one of the USB ports on the back of the monitor) to Thunderbolt 3.

1) The Apple ThunderBolt-3 <--> ThunderBolt-2 adapter ONLY supports genuine ThunderBolt displays, no others at all.

2) Thunderbolt 3 to MiniDisplay --- that should be the winning solution provided you got a high quality adapter/cable and it is not defective. Some labeled "4K" are superior.

3) USB-A (from one of the USB ports on the back of the monitor) to Thunderbolt 3. --

that has NO HOPE of working, it is on the wrong side of the Hub built into the display.

May 6, 2020 1:26 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Update:

So the 1st adapter i tried (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4FQNYW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) did not work at all. That's when i reached out to the group. Today i tried a HyperDrive USBC Hub (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hyperdrive-ultimate-11-port-usb-c-hub-space-gray/6349957.p?skuId=6349957) and it worked. Plug and play and all is good.

thank you for the responses and the help.

So much for, "it's not supported."

MacBook Pro 16" and LED Cinema Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.