Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Cinema Display 27 and Cinema HD Display 23 on a MacBookPro 16" M2

Hi,

I've got the shiny new MBP 16 M2, but I'm having hard times connecting external monitors:

• EIZO: fine, via HDMI
  • Apple Cinema Display 27: no luck, I've got the Apple Thunderbolt 2 -> Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) adapter, but the external monitor isn't recognized at all.
  • Apple Cinema HD Display 23: no luck either, I've got a DVI -> Thunderbolt 2 connected to a Thunderbolt 2 -> Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) adapter but it's completely dead.

Both displays work fine with my trashcan MacPro.

I've read that people have had more success with one DVI -> Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) adapter, which may work for the Apple Cinema HD Display 23 (I'll try to buy one), but what about the Apple Cinema Display 27, which cable is only a Mini DisplayPort?

Is the Thunderbolt 2 adapter unable to carry the data of a Mini DisplayPort, regardless of the fact that its shape is the same?

Thank you.

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 6:23 AM

olivo16 Said:

"Apple Cinema Display 27 and Cinema HD Display 23 on a MacBookPro 16" M2"

-------

This is the adapter you need: Uptab USB-C to Mini DisplayPort Adapter 4K@60Hz - Silver. It works on a 16" MBP whenever it's used in both Normal and Safe Mode.

See my User Tip: Configuring a USB-C Only Mac with a 30-Inch Apple Cinema Display - User Tip

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2023 6:23 AM in response to olivo16

olivo16 Said:

"Apple Cinema Display 27 and Cinema HD Display 23 on a MacBookPro 16" M2"

-------

This is the adapter you need: Uptab USB-C to Mini DisplayPort Adapter 4K@60Hz - Silver. It works on a 16" MBP whenever it's used in both Normal and Safe Mode.

See my User Tip: Configuring a USB-C Only Mac with a 30-Inch Apple Cinema Display - User Tip

Feb 9, 2023 6:49 AM in response to olivo16

The Apple ThunderBolt-3 <-> ThunderBolt-2 adapter supports ONLY genuine ThunderBolt displays, and no others, even with additional adapters.

Both the displays you mention are Mini DisplayPort displays, and will work with a USB-C Mini DisplayPort adapter.

This is a less expensive alternative from a reputable US company:

Monoprice Select Series USB-C to Mini DisplayPort Adapter - Product # 24273 - $14.99

Feb 9, 2023 8:20 AM in response to olivo16

olivo16 Said:

"Apple Cinema Display 27 and Cinema HD Display 23 on a MacBookPro 16" M2: Thanks! Would that work for bother?

———-

You are welcome.

Using Two Monitors on a Mac:

It may work, but what would ultimately make it possible is what your Mac can use as an output device. A Mac can do up to 2 monitors, depending on the model.

So, look up the model’s specs, seeing how many monitors you can hook up to your Mac. Given it says “2”, then all would work just fine, as long as you have 2 ports to do so. Give it a shot, reporting back if it works.

Apple Cinema Display 27 and Cinema HD Display 23 on a MacBookPro 16" M2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.