Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't edit 1440p videos in iMovie

Been having some trouble editing and uploading my 1440p videos from the GoPro on iMovie. Whenever i import the video, it automatically changes the project format to 1080p. I've looked at your previous thread with a similar issue, telling me to drag the 1440p/4k video to the front of the project at first and it will change the project format, however this did not work for me, and all im seeing in the menu is 1080p. Furthermore when i try to export the project, the maximum resolution is also 1080p. Anyone had similar findings?

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 5, 2020 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2020 1:56 PM

If the export of the iPhone video is successful that would tell us that there is something about Go Pro’s encoding process that iMovie doesn’t like. The answer would be to re-encode the Go Pro videos with a video converter like Handbrake.

— Rich

Similar questions

9 replies

May 6, 2020 3:28 PM in response to DarthRoidz

iMovie does support 4K 30 fps. I know that from personal experience. Try recording the 4K 30 fps video on your iPhone, versus the Go Pro, and see if that makes any difference.

Make sure that your iMovie 10 is updated to most current, if you have not already done so.

If the above is not applicable, or you are still having problems, try using Handbrake to re-encode the video to H.264, Mp4/AAC, even if it is already that format. You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

If still no luck, try resetting your Mac's System Manager Controller. See this link for instructions:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

If still no luck, I suggest that you call Apple Support and talk to the savvy techs there. They have the capability of remotely accessing your computer, that we cannot do here. Click on the Contact Support item in the upper right of this forum's screen and navigate to a place where you can enter your telephone number and have Apple Support call you back. Hopefully they will be able to resolve your issue.

-- Rich

May 6, 2020 10:21 AM in response to DarthRoidz

Try a test clip shooting at 4K 30 fps and inserting it into a newly created project as the first clip ever inserted into the project. That would be the way to set the resolution at 4k 30 fps.

iMovie supports 4K at 30 fps but not 4k at 60 fps. It supports 1080p at 60 fps but not sure about 1440p at 60 fps. If it does not support 1440p at 60 fps then iMovie would bump it to the closest resolution that it does support, which in this case would be 1080p 60 fps. That might be what is happening here.

Also, try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you get the proper resolution options. Often that will cure issues with share resolution options.

-- Rich

Can't edit 1440p videos in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.