Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE 2020 Screen Protector

How scratch resistant are the screens on this phone? I've always used a screen protector, but are they still necessary?

Posted on May 6, 2020 6:11 AM

4 replies

May 6, 2020 6:46 AM in response to JamesD1957

I've never used a screen protector with my iPhones since I've used iPhones all the way back since 2012 with the Phone 5.

I have never had a screen get scratched. The only time I had a screen issue was with the iPhone 5, when I dropped it on some rocks when getting out of my car.

Outside of that, I put my iPhone in my pants pocket, by itself, I never put anything else in the pocket the iPhone is in. Things like keys or change go into the other pocket.

Personally the iPhone screen has always been quite resistant but I'm always careful not to put it in the same pocket with things that could scratch it.

May 6, 2020 6:59 AM in response to Phil0124

I've always used one, but the way you handle your phone is identical to way I do as well. Pants pocket, nothing else in that pocket. The only issue I've ever had is lint getting into the lightning connector. A wooden toothpick seems to clear that up.

My main reason for asking is that I've ordered a protector from a company that starts with the letter Z, but I'm reading something about a "halo effect" around the edges of the screen. Not sure I want to deal with that, It's for the 6S, 7 and 8. But all that I've read says that the screen on the SE is exactly the same as the 8, and companies are saying that it will fit properly.

Well, we'll see. Thanks!

May 6, 2020 7:00 AM in response to JamesD1957

JamesD1957 wrote:

How scratch resistant are the screens on this phone? I've always used a screen protector, but are they still necessary?

It’s a sad fact about glass; you can’t have it all. You can design glass to be very hard, and thus close to scratch proof. But the tradeoff is that it becomes brittle and will break easily if it receives shock. Or you can make it strong and supple, which means it will be less likely to break, but more likely to scratch. And to further complicate it the glass on a phone must be thin or the touch requirement will not be met. I’ve found that the glass on iPhones goes to neither extreme, so it is scratch resistant, but not scratch proof, but less likely to break. So take Phil’s advice and don’t use it in ways where it might be scratched. I’ve never had a screen protector on any of my iPhones, and I’ve never seen a scratch on any of them (coming on 13 years now). But I keep it in a holster with a soft lining.

BTW, a screen protector only protects against scratches. If you drop the phone and it lands on a corner the screen will break whether you have a screen protector or not. So you might want to spring for the cost of AppleCare +, which covers most of the cost of a screen replacement.

iPhone SE 2020 Screen Protector

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.