Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t install older macOS to partition on my new MacBook Pro 16”

I am trying to install an older version of macOS to my new 2019 MacBook Pro 16”, but I am running into problems doing so. I want to add it as a separate bootable partition because there are a few 32-bit programs I need to use from time to time, and Catalina obviously won’t work for that. I’m trying to install High Sierra, but I’m getting stuck at the install point with a circle-with-a-slash / “prohibited” symbol.

Here’s what I’ve done so far:

• downloaded High Sierra installer from apple (I’ve made sure it’s the full version; I know there is a smaller version that has to download the rest.)
  • made a bootable USB using DiskMaker
  • made a separate partition of enough size for High Sierra and the extra stuff I plan to install
  • attempted to boot from the USB holding the option key

At this point the disk appears with the High Sierra installer logo and name, but when I select it to boot from, I just get a black screen with the “prohibited” symbol.

I’ve tried several USB drives, several different USB-C adapters, remade the drive a couple of times, and no luck. Could this be due to using an adapter for the drive? Or is my MacBook just too new to allow one of these older operating systems? In the worst case I can probably get away with using Parallels, but if possible I’d like to be able to boot into the second OS.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 6, 2020 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2020 8:03 AM

Greetings, volt_tackle.

I see that you're trying to install a previous macOS version in a partition you've created on your MacBook Pro. The problem is, when you select the partition to boot from, you're met with a screen with a prohibitory symbol, and I'm glad to help with this.

Since your Mac is a 2019 model, you would need to use the macOS version that shipped with your Mac, or a newer version. The behavior you're seeing would likely be a result of installing an older macOS version. See this for more information: Use the Mac operating system that came with your Mac, or a compatible newer version

Take care.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2020 8:03 AM in response to volt_tackle

Greetings, volt_tackle.

I see that you're trying to install a previous macOS version in a partition you've created on your MacBook Pro. The problem is, when you select the partition to boot from, you're met with a screen with a prohibitory symbol, and I'm glad to help with this.

Since your Mac is a 2019 model, you would need to use the macOS version that shipped with your Mac, or a newer version. The behavior you're seeing would likely be a result of installing an older macOS version. See this for more information: Use the Mac operating system that came with your Mac, or a compatible newer version

Take care.

Can’t install older macOS to partition on my new MacBook Pro 16”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.