Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac won't install new copy of Mac OS after deleting in recovery mode using el Capitan

I went to recovery mode on my 2014 15" MacBook Pro, running el Capitan. I erased my drive in order to install a new, fresh copy of Mac OS X. After deleting, it said that Mac OS X el Capitan couldn't be installed. I need help addressing this issue directly, or help creating a bootable drive of a newer version of Mac OS like Catalina or Big Suhr to boot from and install Mac OS X or MacOS on my computer. I tried using disc maker and the terminal and both didn't work. I have a 2017 15" MacBook Pro running Catalina and a 16" MacBook Pro running Catalina, and I have a DMG copy of Big Suhr. Please help. Thank you.

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 5:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2021 8:20 AM

Khan_Artist wrote:

I went to recovery mode on my 2014 15" MacBook Pro, running el Capitan. I erased my drive in order to install a new, fresh copy of Mac OS X. After deleting, it said that Mac OS X el Capitan couldn't be installed. I need help addressing this issue directly, or help creating a bootable drive of a newer version of Mac OS like Catalina or Big Suhr to boot from and install Mac OS X or MacOS on my computer. I tried using disc maker and the terminal and both didn't work. I have a 2017 15" MacBook Pro running Catalina and a 16" MacBook Pro running Catalina, and I have a DMG copy of Big Suhr. Please help. Thank you.

Boot into Internet Recovery (Option Command R) and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD (and the "Macintosh HD-Data" volume as well if Catalina/Big Sur) If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported.

Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices The best sequence is —

• Volume level

• Container level

Parent drive

Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2021 8:20 AM in response to Khan_Artist

Khan_Artist wrote:

Boot into Internet Recovery (Option Command R) and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD (and the "Macintosh HD-Data" volume as well if Catalina/Big Sur) If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported.

Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices The best sequence is —

• Volume level

• Container level

Parent drive

Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Mac won't install new copy of Mac OS after deleting in recovery mode using el Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.