You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This copy of the “Install macOS” application is too old to be opened on this version of macOS.

I wanted to downgrade from High Sierra to Sierra and system doesn't allow me to do. The error message is: This copy of the “Install macOS” application is too old to be opened on this version of macOS.

Tell me how to downgrade?

Posted on May 6, 2020 10:26 AM

14 replies

May 7, 2020 2:19 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Google chorme freezing too often. I can't handle this at all. I was used Sierra very long time without often freezing problem. So I want to go back to Sierra if I get the same performance.

As I mentioned before, downloading large file is too much time consuming process and if I install El Capitan then Sierra it will take more time. As I already have downloaded Mac OSX Sierra can you guide me to make a bootbale flash drive like this solution? How to create a bootable installer for macOS

May 6, 2020 6:55 PM in response to mohsinworld

You need to create a bootable macOS 10.12 USB installer, but this feature is currently broken in the current installer provided by Apple and has been since last October. Apple has been made aware of the issue, but still hasn't fixed it.

The long way around is to boot into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + Shift + R to reinstall the version of macOS which shipped with the computer (or the oldest still available). Then once you have installed the older OS you can then download the macOS 10.12 Sierra installer again to upgrade the OS to 10.12.

You will need to erase the physical drive as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496

Make sure to have a good backup before doing this as it will destroy all the data on the drive.

May 6, 2020 9:15 PM in response to mohsinworld

You were told that there is an issue with the Sierra download where you cannot make a bootable USB from it.

Anyway what is the problem with High Sierra, that you think going back to Sierra would help, they are both virtually the same.

If you really want to go back to Sierra then do this,

Download El Capitan, make a bootable USB with it, install El Capitan, then download Sierra and install it

you won't need to make a bootable USB to install it.

If your mac at one time ran El Capitan and you do have an operating system on your mac and it is functioning then you can download El Capitan using this method.

How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan – Apple Support

Go to Section 4 and click on Download OS X El Capitan.

This downloads InstallMacOSX.dmg to your Downloads folder.

When downloaded open to InstallMacOSX.pkg, double-click on

that and an installation window will open, this does not install El Capitan

but converts the .pkg to the Install OS X El Capitan.app which you will find in 

your Applications folder, it should be 6.2GBs in size.

To start the installation of El Capitan double click on the Install OS X El Capitan.app.

The copy of the install app self deletes after installing El Capitan, so make sure you keep a copy of the InstallMacOSX.dmg if you need it in future, or you could just make a copy of the Install OS X El Capitan.app prior to installing and moving it to an external drive for safe keeping. It is also possible to create a bootable USB installer disk, using the Install OS X El Capitan.app in the Applications folder, and the createinstallmedia command in the Terminal app. Read the instructions here,

How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support

May 7, 2020 3:30 AM in response to mohsinworld

See if there are any updates for Google Chrome, if not boot your mac into Safe Mode,

How to use safe mode on your Mac – Apple Support

It can take about ten minutes to boot to Safe Mode it will do any disk repairs and clear out any caches.

Then just boo back normally.

Why are you using Google Chrome anyway it's using a lot of your macs resources and spies on you.

May 7, 2020 8:09 AM in response to mohsinworld

If you are only having problems with Chrome, then either it is because Chrome is known to be slow or it is one of the extensions you are using or perhaps your system doesn't have enough memory.

You can run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. This way we can see if there are any known software issues which could be causing your problem, plus it will provide us details on your hardware.

Also run Disk Utility First Aid on the drive. And run the Apple Diagnostics.

As @Eau Rouge mentions you have a choice of other browsers such as Firefox which is not based on Chrome and it can be used with extensions as well. Or you can use Safari (not my first choice either, but it is an option).

Also the difference between Sierra and High Sierra is so negligible I don't see any reason to go backwards as that will just cause more problems with security and the apps which you can run. The only reason to go backwards is if you have software that absolutely is not compatible with High Sierra (I understand there may be some audio software in this category).

May 7, 2020 2:30 AM in response to mohsinworld

You have been told three times now that you cannot make a bootable flash drive with the Sierra download, Apple mad an error in the coding. If you try to make a bootable USB with Sierra then Terminal comes up with the error,

Volumes/<USBname> is not a valid mount point, the process stops and cannot be resumed.

You only option is to go to El Capitan and then install Sierra.

May 7, 2020 3:47 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Come on Eau Rouge, suggest me to change my laptop but don't suggest me to change my browser. Nothing can replace Google Chrome. I'm not a simple user, I need Chrome for my work. Try to realize I want to go through all the painful and rubbish process to avoid Chrome freezing issue, but I can't think of changing my browser. Try to understand what can be a reason for that!

This copy of the “Install macOS” application is too old to be opened on this version of macOS.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.