Apple Intelligence is now available on iPhone, iPad, and Mac!

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to downgrade to MacOS Monterey?

Weirdly, this felt to me a most buggy MacOS I have ever used in my life. I have battery start dropping very quickly everyday, and battery health was plummeted as well. Many apps have weird bugs and the Mac have performance that was at least 10% slower than the last OS. Is Apple going to fix this quickly because I want to downgrade to Monterey but just have no idea how to get started on doing so, and so I hope Apple can fix MacOS Ventura quickly. 3/10 for MacOS Ventura for now.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Dec 24, 2022 5:35 AM

5 replies

Jan 7, 2023 1:55 PM in response to zero7404

concerning my backup, can I use TM while in Ventura to capture all my apps and app states, documents, etc. .. ?
can that TM backup created in Ventura 13.1 be restored to Monterey after I complete the downgrade ?

Some things yes, some things, no.

Most of the library-based apps change the storage structure with some upgrades. I couldn't tell you which ones might have changed. If they do change, you can't replace them with the ones on the newer OS backup.

If you store everything in the cloud, then it doesn't matter. You would only need to restore other data files.

I thought the application can catch-all in terms of the system state (as a whole), i'm not sure if it works that way or whether i have to restore backed up apps one by one from the backup ..

Time Machine no longer backs up the System Volume at all. To "restore," you install the OS, then Migrate your Data from your Time Machine backup.

You'll need to download the OS you want to use, create a bootable installer from the install app, then startup from that bootable installer. If you have a Mac with a T2 chip, you would need to enable booting from an external drive in the Startup Security Utility.

If it is an Apple Silicon Mac, you just have to create the bootable installer on that Mac. It can be done from another Mac, but a little simpler from the same one.

How to download macOS - Apple Support

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

Dec 24, 2022 7:02 AM in response to Richard_Jiang

No issues on 2 M-Class machines upgraded from Big Sur to Monterey to Ventura 13.0 to latest 13.1

If the user is intent on downgrading to Monterey ?

This link below may offer some insights on how to perform this.

How to Downgrade macOS Ventura to Monterey On M1 & Intel

It is involved and one mis-step and one could have an expensive paperweight waiting for a Visit to an Apple Authorized Repair Shop

Jan 7, 2023 1:21 PM in response to PRP_53

i want to downgrade, not satisfied with Ventura performance and the changes made to the new OS.

concerning my backup, can I use TM while in Ventura to capture all my apps and app states, documents, etc. .. ?

can that TM backup created in Ventura 13.1 be restored to Monterey after I complete the downgrade ?

could you share a link please on how to go about restoring everything from a TM backup ? I haven't used TM before to restore anything and I thought the application can catch-all in terms of the system state (as a whole), i'm not sure if it works that way or whether i have to restore backed up apps one by one from the backup ..

How to downgrade to MacOS Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.