Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac mini to usb-c monitor

Hi

I have a Samsung monitor (Samsung LC34H890WJUXEN) which has 3 ports:

* HDMI

* DisplayPort

* USB-C

I already use the HDMI and Displayports for other devices, switching between them as needed.

Is it possible to connect a mac mini 2018 using the USB-C port on the monitor connected to a Thunderbolt 3 port on the mac? Would this drive video output to the monitor? The usb-c port on the monitor can also be used as a charging port (max 65W). Would this output power from the monitor damage the mac mini?

If I can connect the mac mini to the monitor, can I use a standard usb-c to usb-c cable or does it need to be a Thunderbolt 3 specific cable?

Thanks in advance

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on May 6, 2020 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2020 7:45 PM

Yes it should work. Use a USB-C cable, not Thunderbolt 3, unless it's one of the short (less than 1 meter) cables that supports both Thunderbolt 3 and non-Thunderbolt USB-C. The Mac mini will ignore the charging power. It won't cause damage.

The 21.5-inch LG UltraFine 4K Display was sold by Apple, uses USB-C (not Thunderbolt 3) and Apple says it works with the 2018 Mac Mini.

Use the 21.5-inch LG UltraFine 4K Display with your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2020 7:45 PM in response to revolver1966

Yes it should work. Use a USB-C cable, not Thunderbolt 3, unless it's one of the short (less than 1 meter) cables that supports both Thunderbolt 3 and non-Thunderbolt USB-C. The Mac mini will ignore the charging power. It won't cause damage.

The 21.5-inch LG UltraFine 4K Display was sold by Apple, uses USB-C (not Thunderbolt 3) and Apple says it works with the 2018 Mac Mini.

Use the 21.5-inch LG UltraFine 4K Display with your Mac - Apple Support

mac mini to usb-c monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.