Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble with changing Apple ID email

I have followed the prompts to change the email that I use as my Apple ID but when I put in my new email, it says that the email is not available. I used to use it as my recovery email but I changed my recovery email to something else. My old ID email is no longer in service so I need to change it to my current primary email. Help.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 6, 2020 4:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2020 4:18 PM

Apple hasn’t published any guidance for using an address again. Normally, if your e-mail address was associated with an ID in any way, for example as a Reachable at or Rescue e-mail address, then it can't be reused with another Apple ID for approximately one year. I have also seen posts that stated Apple told them there was a 30 day waiting period before the address could be used again.  You will need to get another e-mail address to use as your Apple ID or you can try waiting 30 days to see if that works.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2020 4:18 PM in response to belt mama

Apple hasn’t published any guidance for using an address again. Normally, if your e-mail address was associated with an ID in any way, for example as a Reachable at or Rescue e-mail address, then it can't be reused with another Apple ID for approximately one year. I have also seen posts that stated Apple told them there was a 30 day waiting period before the address could be used again.  You will need to get another e-mail address to use as your Apple ID or you can try waiting 30 days to see if that works.

Trouble with changing Apple ID email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.