Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Could Not Sign In" to App Store

Two days ago, I couldn't download or update any apps so I tried signing out and changing my apple ID password but could not sign back in since then. I have already tried many possible solutions but none have worked thus far.

Steps made:

Restarting App Store

Restarting iPad

Reset Network Settings

Reset All Settings

Connecting to another WiFi Connection

Using another Apple ID to sign in to App Store

Signing Apple ID in and out of my device

I have also tried using my Apple ID on another device and was able to use it on the App Store. However, when using my own device, any Apple IDs won't sign in. I am sure my credentials are correct and I have a stable WiFi connection. I have also reached out to Apple Support several times now but my issue has not yet been resolved.

My Apple ID works on Cloud and can be accessed via the Apple Website but every time I try to sign in to App Store it just says "Could Not Sign In" or "Authentication Failed." I fear I may not be able to download or update any apps I need to use because of this issue.

Much help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on May 6, 2020 9:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2020 2:16 AM

I have got exactly same issue for past few weeks i think. mine kept on saying incorrect password. my software is in lastest version Catalina too. I have done all those troublshooting too. still no luck.

There are some issue in latest ios 13.4.1 in my iphone. I don't know when Apple is going to fix these issues!

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2020 2:16 AM in response to rrcs1227

I have got exactly same issue for past few weeks i think. mine kept on saying incorrect password. my software is in lastest version Catalina too. I have done all those troublshooting too. still no luck.

There are some issue in latest ios 13.4.1 in my iphone. I don't know when Apple is going to fix these issues!

May 7, 2020 6:35 AM in response to jmaden

If your issue has been addressed, I would greatly appreciate it if you could relay the process to me as well.

I am contemplating whether to do a hard reset on my device (iPad Air 2) but I'm afraid that won't solve my case even after doing so.

I encourage contacting Apple Support, however, it seems yours has been going on for quite some time now so I doubt anything would happen with mine as well.

But let's hope they'll fix these issues soon. I will try reaching out to them again, though.

May 7, 2020 2:43 PM in response to rrcs1227

Unfortunately No, still same.

On iPhone and iPad iOS 13.4.1 -While chatting online with support team, they told me to reset and do factory reset of phone after backing up and re update the software. It did not work. My iPad got exactly same issues like iPhone . So I can confirm that there’s software issues not our devices. Apple support should stop addressing customers to back up devices and reset it. It’s completely waste of time.

yes let’s hope Apple will fix these issues ASAP.

May 9, 2020 7:50 AM in response to jmaden

I have just contacted them via Chat Support.

One advisor made me do this process: Settings>Wifi>Renew Lease, then try to sign in again but still did not work.

Now, their only supposed solution is to fully restore and do a factory reset like you did. Although, I'm very apprehensive about this step. Another advisor did confirm that nothing is blocking my device and account so that's good news.

Maybe it is a software bug after all and though I did raise this possibility as well, the team did not acknowledge it. I asked what would happen then if doing a restore and reset will still not work, the advisor just offered to use the services currently available in my area.

I have already talked to more than 10 advisors now on multiple support platforms and my issue that's been going on for almost a week now has still not been resolved.

May 9, 2020 8:09 AM in response to jmaden

In addition, I asked to confirm if the issue was not caused by the software update. The advisor then said that the issue may have been an underlying one already, and the update just exposes it, hence the issue timing. Doing a restore and reset would eliminate the possibilities of software issues, he said.

As for possibilities of hardware malfunction, he said there are still many variables that could have caused the problem. I have no idea how the hardware might have caused this problem though, I just don't see the correlation.

May 14, 2020 1:57 AM in response to rrcs1227

i did not expect Apple to act too slow to resolve these issues. I would say there should loads of other customers raising this issues or they have not noticed yet.

again, today my itunes/Apple ID does not work. Keeps on saying forgot password/incorrect password. I reset after our last conversation and it did work until today through face recognition and suddenly today it asked me for my Apple password and when I entered the same exact password in my iPhone and Mac - it’s says Incorrect. I’m fed up resetting my password. I hope Apple got a very good explanation about this!

"Could Not Sign In" to App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.