Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will "Setting - Message - Keep Messages - 30 Days" prevent iCloud Message from syncing older messages?

Hello, I'm using iCloud message for now. However I ran into an issue and I want to ask everyone.

If I set my iPad to keep iMessages for 30days, will it affect my older message history on other devices?

I want to keep iPad history for 30days to save space on iPad.

However I want to keep longer history on my Mac.

Currently I have 2TB of iCloud storage and every device is set to keep message history forever. I wonder if I could change iPad History on iPad to 30days whilst keeping older messages on other devices via iCloud Message.

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on May 7, 2020 12:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2020 8:27 AM

Hey SpaceMonki,

I happen to have the same question but fear that I unfortunately fell victim to what I consider a "design flaw" or miscommunication from Apple.

I currently own and use the following devices all linked to my Apple ID/iCould account:

• iPhone 11 Pro
  • 2019 27" iMac
  • 2018 MacBook Pro 13"
  • 2020 11" iPad Pro

When I purchased the iPad Pro last month, I figured that I didn't need to have several years of messages stored on the device so I changed the "Keep Messages" setting to 1 Month. Yes, there was a "warning" but it specified that the messages would be permanently deleted from "your device".

Yesterday, I was looking for a very important text message that I received from a client earlier this year on my iPhone and noticed that I didn't have any messages (whole conversations or individual messages) that were older than April 10th (older than 30 days as of this writing). As you can imagine, my heart skipped a beat. I quickly jumped on both my iMac and MacBook and noticed the same.

The first thing I did was to check the setting on my iPhone and sure enough, the Keep Messages setting was set to 1 month as well even if I would never have chosen that option on my phone.

I immediately contacted Apple support (Case ID: 101085207249) with the following question: "Does changing the Keep Messages setting on one device affect messages on all devices?"

The first rep didn't understand what I was explaining but, due to the urgency of the situation, I decided to call again. The 2nd rep (Cherelle) understood exactly what was happening. She initially did not think that this was the way messages and iCloud storage worked but while I was on the call with her, since my messages seemed like they were gone on all my devices, I decided to change the setting to forever on my iPad. Sure enough, after a few seconds, it changed the Keep Messages setting on ALL of my other devices.

I don't have a local backup and I don't use Time Machine since all of my critical documents are in the cloud. As of now, it appears that I have no way to restore my messages from iCloud since my iOS devices' backups are newer than 30 days (so much for having 240GB used out of 2TB available iCloud storage).

To Support/Forum Members: If anyone knows how I could retrieve my messages, please let me know.

To Apple/Apple iOS Engineers: Please help!!!! Make it a 2-step validation process or require a passcode. At the very least update the warning to indicate that ALL devices will be affected and not just "your device".

To everyone else: This is a PSA that you should be aware that changing the setting on 1 device will affect ALL of your devices.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2020 8:27 AM in response to SpaceMonki

Hey SpaceMonki,

I happen to have the same question but fear that I unfortunately fell victim to what I consider a "design flaw" or miscommunication from Apple.

I currently own and use the following devices all linked to my Apple ID/iCould account:

• iPhone 11 Pro
  • 2019 27" iMac
  • 2018 MacBook Pro 13"
  • 2020 11" iPad Pro

When I purchased the iPad Pro last month, I figured that I didn't need to have several years of messages stored on the device so I changed the "Keep Messages" setting to 1 Month. Yes, there was a "warning" but it specified that the messages would be permanently deleted from "your device".

Yesterday, I was looking for a very important text message that I received from a client earlier this year on my iPhone and noticed that I didn't have any messages (whole conversations or individual messages) that were older than April 10th (older than 30 days as of this writing). As you can imagine, my heart skipped a beat. I quickly jumped on both my iMac and MacBook and noticed the same.

The first thing I did was to check the setting on my iPhone and sure enough, the Keep Messages setting was set to 1 month as well even if I would never have chosen that option on my phone.

I immediately contacted Apple support (Case ID: 101085207249) with the following question: "Does changing the Keep Messages setting on one device affect messages on all devices?"

The first rep didn't understand what I was explaining but, due to the urgency of the situation, I decided to call again. The 2nd rep (Cherelle) understood exactly what was happening. She initially did not think that this was the way messages and iCloud storage worked but while I was on the call with her, since my messages seemed like they were gone on all my devices, I decided to change the setting to forever on my iPad. Sure enough, after a few seconds, it changed the Keep Messages setting on ALL of my other devices.

I don't have a local backup and I don't use Time Machine since all of my critical documents are in the cloud. As of now, it appears that I have no way to restore my messages from iCloud since my iOS devices' backups are newer than 30 days (so much for having 240GB used out of 2TB available iCloud storage).

To Support/Forum Members: If anyone knows how I could retrieve my messages, please let me know.

To Apple/Apple iOS Engineers: Please help!!!! Make it a 2-step validation process or require a passcode. At the very least update the warning to indicate that ALL devices will be affected and not just "your device".

To everyone else: This is a PSA that you should be aware that changing the setting on 1 device will affect ALL of your devices.

May 12, 2020 7:45 PM in response to Snoopster

Hello Snoospter,

Thank you for your detailed answer. This actually solved my issue in January when I see a massive amount of my messages deleted from other devices suddenly. I clicked keep messages on my iPad for 30 days, then all my messages in a work group got deleted completely. I tried to connect with Apple support. The only thing I got is a few saved attachments on my Mac.

To be clear with you there’s 0 chance for you to retrieve any of the lost data.

For the future, you may keep one device off iCloud message. The reason for this suggestion is if you turned on iCloud message, your daily backup will no longer contain the message part. Same rule applies to Photos. If you keep one device off iCloud messages, that will force that device to do a daily backup that includes Messages.

For Apple Developers, this is such a gigantic bug you have to get this addressed. iCloud Messages had a difficult birth and now this. Please escalate and address it.

May 13, 2020 7:26 AM in response to SpaceMonki

Hi SpaceMonki,

Yes, there is 0% chance of me retrieving any of my old messages. I wish we didn't have to find out the hard way.

On thing for sure is that, by design, I understand out the messages will be deleted from the account of deleted from one device. I just wish apple made that explicitly clear that this is what would happen when changing the setting...

After having Goth though this, I can only advocate for a change in the process in which this is handled.

A forum member suggested a utility called PhoneView (https://www.ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/) which I will use and recommend going forward as it allows you to have real local backups of most of your phone's data. Not ideal but certainly a life saver if you need to backup crucial info.

Will "Setting - Message - Keep Messages - 30 Days" prevent iCloud Message from syncing older messages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.