Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I set on my Mac to keep messages for only 30 days, will it erase the full history on my iPhone as well?

I want to keep my history, but I don't want it to be in my hard drive. I found the option to keep messages only for a day or for 30 days, but I don't know if that will erase the history from everywhere....

Or if the iMessage storage could be moved to an external hard drive, that would be even so much better!

Thank you so much!

Mac mini, macOS 12.4

Posted on May 29, 2022 10:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2022 5:00 AM

Sorry but this question seems to be mixing two things.

User wrote " I want to keep my history, but I don't want it to be in my hard drive. I found the option to keep messages only for a day or for 30 days, but I don't know if that will erase the history from everywhere....

A - The above appears to refer to Apple Mail Application. That being stated, yes after the chose period of time elapses - it will delete the e-mails from all Apple Devices associated with the User ID and Signed into and use iCloud

refer to image below

User wrote " Or if the iMessage storage could be moved to an external hard drive, that would be even so much better! "

A - Not AFAIK but can be stored on iCloud. Use Messages in iCloud

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2022 5:00 AM in response to AriaAlessandra

Sorry but this question seems to be mixing two things.

User wrote " I want to keep my history, but I don't want it to be in my hard drive. I found the option to keep messages only for a day or for 30 days, but I don't know if that will erase the history from everywhere....

A - The above appears to refer to Apple Mail Application. That being stated, yes after the chose period of time elapses - it will delete the e-mails from all Apple Devices associated with the User ID and Signed into and use iCloud

refer to image below

User wrote " Or if the iMessage storage could be moved to an external hard drive, that would be even so much better! "

A - Not AFAIK but can be stored on iCloud. Use Messages in iCloud

May 31, 2022 2:50 PM in response to PRP_53

Hello.

Thank you so much for your response...

But on iMessage on the Mac asks if they should stay forever, for 30 days or one year...

Here is the screenshot...

However, when I switch it to 30 days it asks if I am sure because the rest of the content

will be lost forever from the device.

What I don't know is if it will be lost from only this Device or from my iCloud library.

Here is a screenshot of that as well

Thank you so so much!

If I set on my Mac to keep messages for only 30 days, will it erase the full history on my iPhone as well?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.