Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I "Enable Messages in iCloud" and "Keep Messages" for 30 Days, will iCloud retain full message history?

I'm trying to reconcile how "Enable Message in iCloud" and "Keep Messages" impact one another, and it's not clear.

My goal is to free up storage on my Mac, but still retain my entire Messages history in iCloud. Is that possible?

It would *seem* like setting "Enable Messages in iCloud" would store my entire Messages history in iCloud and then the "Keep Messages" setting would just impact how many of those were stored locally on my Mac. But I hate to make assumptions and none of this is clear anywhere. :)

Thanks!

-Dave

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 1:42 PM

If the messages are deleted from your Mac, manually or automatically, they are deleted everywhere. iCloud Messages is designed to automatically sync messages, not to act as a storage for history.

Also see: Use Messages in iCloud - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply

If I "Enable Messages in iCloud" and "Keep Messages" for 30 Days, will iCloud retain full message history?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.