Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adjusting Relative Volume Levels Globally

Hi, all:

I'm new to Final Cut Pro and I'm trying to figure things out.

I've created a project with the volume levels in proper proportion to each other, but they are all too loud since they are clipping. I need to change this.

I know that I can copy and paste attributes, but I'm not sure if I can paste attributes in a way that respects the relative relationship between clips in my current project. Is this possible?

If not, it might be best to use the Modify --> Adjust Volume --> Relative function. But although I know of that function, I'm uncertain as to the workflow. What is the process for doing so? Do I select all the clips within the project first, then run the above function? After that, what?

When I tried running this function, I didn't see a setting for actually making the adjustment to the volume. I'm unfamiliar with the interface. What am I missing?

Thanks for the help!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 7, 2020 4:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2020 8:20 PM

Sounds like you are on it.

Using the Keyboard in the following example, I type in -6 and using the Keyboard hit Enter.

Yes, select the Timeline clips and not clips in the Browser.

All clips are lowered by -6db from the original audio level.

The other command, Absolute adjusts everything that is selected to that value.

If +5db is typed in every selected clip will have +5db as it's audio level.

Al

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2020 8:20 PM in response to Sunshine_82

Sounds like you are on it.

Using the Keyboard in the following example, I type in -6 and using the Keyboard hit Enter.

Yes, select the Timeline clips and not clips in the Browser.

All clips are lowered by -6db from the original audio level.

The other command, Absolute adjusts everything that is selected to that value.

If +5db is typed in every selected clip will have +5db as it's audio level.

Al

May 7, 2020 5:45 AM in response to Sunshine_82

Use Command-A to select all clips in the Project.

Then use the Relative command.

You will see this at the top of the Timeline:

Type in a number for raising the db level, no need to enter a +, or enter - then a number to lower the db level.

eg. -6 then hit the Enter key will lower all levels on all selected clips Relative to their starting point.

Al

May 7, 2020 12:46 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I did use the hot keys, Tom. That works. Thanks again for that help. Just wanted to see if I could figure out the other workflow.

Yeah, I'm not sure what is happening in the viewer as I selected all items by pressing command + A. Maybe "all" items actually includes all of the raw footage items, events and such? If so, that would account for the discrepancy.

Adjusting Relative Volume Levels Globally

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.