Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 with bumper and official Apple Dock

I don't seem to this subject anywhere - but it's one that is really annoying me.

I use the official Apple dock regularly everyday to keep the phone in view and synched as I'm a graphic designer. I also hate putting cases on things. So this 'fix' that Apple are offering becomes a problem for people like me who use a dock (and spent £25 getting one) as the iPhone 4 with a bumper case on - will not fit in it.

I spoke to Apple yesterday and they won't admit or deny it! I also spoke to two people on Apple Chat and the first cut me off and the second just kept copy and pasting this: "I do not have information confirming the iPhone will 100% fit snuggly into the iPhone 4 dock with the bumper on."

Anyone else think this is not acceptable - as in the 'fix' doesn't help me or others who use the dock frequently.

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 20, 2010 4:54 AM

39 replies

Jul 20, 2010 5:03 AM in response to Silverfox666

Not really problem solved in my eyes.

I move in and out of my office several times a day, so removing and adding the bumper approximately 5 times a day is a true ball ache. Don't forget, this phone didn't come cheap - so I don't expect hassle to go with it.

I have loads of Apple products, but this one is disappointing so far - but only due to this one problem.

I should get a refund for the dock too I reckon!

Jul 20, 2010 5:09 AM in response to Silverfox666

Currently there are no cases (bumpers either) that will fit the Apple Dock or any formfactor docks whatsoever. Open docks can't fit either so don't bother trying to connect your iPhone with an open dock (Some alarm clocks sell non-formfactored docks which works with the i4).

All cases add a 1CM or more spacing between the connection and housing making connectivity impossible. You have to remove the case or bottom portion in bottom separatable cases prior to connectivity. It's a headache to everyone but sadly the way it is.

iFrogz, InCase, and a few other manufacturers of cases sell bottom removables. You can leave the top half connected to the i4 and remove the bottom half for docking. Some sell just a few $/£ cheaper.

Jul 20, 2010 5:09 AM in response to Silverfox666

Cutting the bumper wont help as it's the sides of the bumper that make it not fit the dock. The phone fits very tightly into the dock.

I also use the dock as a safe place for the phone to sit, so using the dock is a preference I choose.

My main point is that the official phone, with the official case doesn't fit into the official dock.

Bottom line is, and I know the arguments, I think a free case is so lame. It needs to be a recall IMO.

Jul 20, 2010 5:25 AM in response to Silverfox666

Well, the lesson I learnt with the original iPhone, is to NEVER buy the specific dock for your iPhone - buy a universal dock, and then the adaptor plates to fit whatever you want to dock in it. That way you only have to spend £7 each time you get a new device, not £30 (or however much the proper dock is).

Plus, you can use the universal dock WITHOUT an adapter - in which case, your phone, in the case, will fit. It's not ideal, as your device won't have physical support (it'll be held up purely by the dock connector which could strain the connector and the port on the device), however my 3G in a case was used (unsupported) in such a dock every night for the past year with no apparent ill effects to either the phone or the dock. At work I also have a universal dock, but this one had some sticky foam pads added to it to give a bit of support. You might also find that the dock adaptor for an iPod classic will provide suitable support - they're a similar shape.

Having said all that, I really can't believe that only one company (that I've heard of) makes dock adapters that fit an iPhone with a case on. The whole point of the universal dock was that you could have plates that fit anything - and I'm really surprised Apple, never mind anyone else (barring the one company I can't remember) haven't capitalised on this opportunity to make even more money by selling bits of plastic.

Apple make dock adapters. Apple make bumpers. They really should be making dock adapters that fit the bumpers!

Message was edited by: Steamrunner TTT

Jul 20, 2010 5:30 AM in response to Steamrunner TTT

Correct!

Also, I 'choose' to use my phone without a case and with a dock.

My choice has now be taken away as I 'have' to put a case on to make calls successfully (as mine drops calls all of the time and I'm trying to run a business) and now the dock that I 'chose' to have creates further problems due to the case that I don't want to have on in the first place.

I have lodged my upset with Apple's feedback too - not that they'll read it due to the amount of complaints they'll be getting.

Jul 20, 2010 5:59 AM in response to Silverfox666

Silverfox666 wrote:
People are also forgetting that plenty of people, like me, don't want to put a case on the phone. I never have done and don't want to start it now. They all look cheap - and afterall, aren't we paying ap remium for the Apple design? Surely to hide it, goes against owning such a device.

So take off the case then.

iPhone 4 with bumper and official Apple Dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.