Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Make airport express 2 work as router and extend to other routers

Hi. sorry for my bad techical knowledge in the description.

I've connected my airport express 2 to my main routers LAN1 channel - and this works fine: i have wireless connection from both of them. However when i try to connect a third router to the aiport the internet acces switches between the three routers and i cannot make it work on all three at once. I suspect that it's because i don't have the right configuration on the airport. Does anybody know this issue and have a solution?

Kind regards - Victor

Posted on May 7, 2020 5:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2020 8:43 AM

Ok, your wireless gateway device is a Technicolor TG799VN. It provides both routing and wireless, just like your AirPort Express base station.

According to your post, you have the Express connected to the TG799VN by Ethernet, and then, a third router connected back to the Express, also by Ethernet ... correct?

If this is the case, then you have the basis for a roaming type network. With this type of network, each router would broadcast a wireless network, but use the same network name, security type & security password so that it will appear as though you only have a single wire less network to all of your wireless clients to connect to. The key is only the TG799VN should perform as a router. The other two routers need to be reconfigured as bridges (disable their respective NAT & DHCP services).

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2020 8:43 AM in response to victorfromaalborg

Ok, your wireless gateway device is a Technicolor TG799VN. It provides both routing and wireless, just like your AirPort Express base station.

According to your post, you have the Express connected to the TG799VN by Ethernet, and then, a third router connected back to the Express, also by Ethernet ... correct?

If this is the case, then you have the basis for a roaming type network. With this type of network, each router would broadcast a wireless network, but use the same network name, security type & security password so that it will appear as though you only have a single wire less network to all of your wireless clients to connect to. The key is only the TG799VN should perform as a router. The other two routers need to be reconfigured as bridges (disable their respective NAT & DHCP services).

May 10, 2020 2:23 AM in response to Tesserax

Thank you for the fast reply. The main router is provided from my internet provider. I can't findt a specific name on it but you can see two pictures of it underneath:

This router is still performing as a router. From the main routers LAN 1 output i have connected the airport express 2 (see picture of airport underneath)

So this airport express is connected by cable and works fine as a router no matter which of the two inputs i use on the express (*the cable is not connected on the picture). Finally i connected the third router to the airport express by a ethernet cable - i have both tried the WAN and the LAN input on the third router. The internet connection from it works in a few seconds and then it dissapears. And what more is the third router also seems to be interferring with the main router and the airport express 2 which after connected two third router only provide internet acces in few seconds. All the routers simply turn on and off in shift. I suspect the interaction between the airport and the third router to be the center of the issue. Underneath is two picture of the third router:

May 7, 2020 8:23 AM in response to victorfromaalborg

Let's start with what is the make and model of the "main" router? What model(s) is/are your AirPort Express base stations? What is the make & model of the "third" router? We know that the Express is connected to the main router by Ethernet, how about the third router ... is it connected back to either of the other routers by Ethernet (if so, which one) or by a wireless connection? Finally is the main router still performing as a router or did you reconfigure it as a bridge?

Make airport express 2 work as router and extend to other routers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.