Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport express setup

Hi everyone

I have my main router supplied by my telco in the shed. It is a Telstra gateway router. (Australia) Inside my house we have thick brick walls so the wi-fi is pretty average from the main router in the shed. I have an airport express inside that is connected to the router via ethernet cable. However, I am not sure how to configure the express so when I am inside using my ipad it connects using wifi to the airport express rather than trying to reach the main router in the shed.

I'm not sure whether I extend the network or create a new network or perhaps do something in bridge mode??? Can someone please help. The apple manual doesn't make this setup that clear.

Thanks

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 2:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 7:03 AM

You would set up the AirPort Express to create a new network that uses the exact same wireless network name and password as your "main" router. The setup will automatically apply the correct Bridge Mode setting to the AriPort Express, so you don't have to worry about that.

If you do this, you won't have to "switch networks" when you move the iPad from one location to another.

If you create a WiFi network on the Express with a different name, then you will have to manually log off of the WiFi network provided by your "main" router and then manually log on to the WiFi network that the AirPort Express is providing. Then, when you move the iPad back near the "main" router again, you will have to manually log off of the AirPort Express and manually log back in to the WiFi signal provided by the "main" router.

You can do this, but most users want to avoid this type of hassle.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2020 7:03 AM in response to doogbeck

You would set up the AirPort Express to create a new network that uses the exact same wireless network name and password as your "main" router. The setup will automatically apply the correct Bridge Mode setting to the AriPort Express, so you don't have to worry about that.

If you do this, you won't have to "switch networks" when you move the iPad from one location to another.

If you create a WiFi network on the Express with a different name, then you will have to manually log off of the WiFi network provided by your "main" router and then manually log on to the WiFi network that the AirPort Express is providing. Then, when you move the iPad back near the "main" router again, you will have to manually log off of the AirPort Express and manually log back in to the WiFi signal provided by the "main" router.

You can do this, but most users want to avoid this type of hassle.

airport express setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.