Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading Apple tv

What is the difference between Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K? I have the first generation for almost 6 years and I think some apps will not be supporting it any longer.

Posted on May 7, 2020 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2020 8:30 AM

The difference is the 4K supports 4K content, the HD does not. Limited to 1080p content.

The first generation Apple TV, was white and silver and did not support any Apps at all: Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

If you have a chunky black box that has access to the App Store, then you have a 4th Generation Apple TV, and its essentially the same as an Apple TV HD.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2020 8:30 AM in response to brighid176

The difference is the 4K supports 4K content, the HD does not. Limited to 1080p content.

The first generation Apple TV, was white and silver and did not support any Apps at all: Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

If you have a chunky black box that has access to the App Store, then you have a 4th Generation Apple TV, and its essentially the same as an Apple TV HD.

May 7, 2020 8:20 AM in response to brighid176

Compare Apple TV models

Apple TV 4K vs. Apple TV HD

Generation: 5th generation vs. 4th generation

Capacity: 32GB or 64GB vs. 32GB (64 GB discontinued)

Video output: 2160p max vs. 1080p max

Video output: Dolby Vision or HDR10 options vs. SDR only

Processor: A10X (50% faster) vs. A8

Networking: Gigabit Ethernet vs. 100BASE-T Ethernet

Networking: 802.11ac Wi‑Fi with MIMO; simultaneous dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) vs. 802.11ac Wi‑Fi with MIMO; single band

Bluetooth 5.0 vs. Bluetooth 4.0

Ports: HDMI 2.0a vs. HDMI 1.4

Ports: No service port vs. USB-C

Audio Output: Up to Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 surround sound vs. Up to Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 surround sound

Audio Output: Dolby Atmos option for supporting content vs. no ‘immersive’ audio with height component.

For apps, both models will be supported equally. I’m am not aware of apps that differentiate between these models.

Upgrading Apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.